Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, June 21, 2007

June 21, 2007


           Now that is a Florida accident. The whole bumper ripped off and wrapped 180 degrees around a lamp standard (telephone pole, to some). Like most of Florida, there are no hills, curves or blind stretches, this happened at a flat, dry intersection (Dixie and Sheridan) in broad daylight.
           Three spelling mistakes in the first three sentences. Of course, some people guess that is just what to expect, but not me. If you get the address, phone number and zip code wrong, what are you doing pretending you know what an invoice is? Some people are not long for the dog wig business or any other. It is hardly me, but more the fact that nobody slides much past Ruth or the way things just have to be. It is like, don’t think, just do it right. I understand when documents are produced under pressure, as in deadlines, but you won’t make the big bucks until all this is sorted out.

           Almost the entire day was spent cleaning up paperwork. We have this new guy, a telemarketer, but a pro at scrounging up business. I’m a total loser when it comes to marketing so I’m impressed by people who appear to enjoy it. I still disagree with using public information (such as telephone numbers) for private gain without compensation for the intrusion.
           That is correct. I’ll take any telemarketing call on my private line, as long as you pay me for the time. A current rate of $0.50 per minute sounds fair, from the time the phone rings until I tell you to go to hell and hang up. Nobody who uses public information should be allowed to do so anonymously.

           Now that I have that off my chest, I report that music has again paid off more that a day of database administration. I have a family band on my hands, and they are knowledgeable enough to be forming their own group in less than the next month. What’s more, is that this situation is nearing the very limit of what I can teach or advise students to go further.. For example, my experience with breathing and aspiration while singing is limited to the fact I know they exist but my students want more.
           I had to deliver a twenty minute lecture on band equipment tonight. It was well received. Again, the practical aspects of playing in a band are my specialty. I’ve lost more band equipment because it got left behind and was not worth going back to pick it up, than I ever have through outright theft. Your results may differ.

           Who remembers “Dance Posters”. I used to walk and hitchhike around for free [putting them up on telephone poles]. Now I’m having the same rate of success with all other forms of advertising. It just does not work unless you can get people to talk about your pitch afterward. Speaking of bad campaigns, now that I leave the TV on for Pudding, I have a list of three of the sickest, most insipid bean-brain things I’ve seen dished out in my life – but then again, this is coming from a guy who first saw Conan a couple years ago and thought it was a one-time spoof. Anyway, the sickest things on TV

                √ Kirstie Alley. that bloated creature who never could act. You know the one where she wears a Oprah-size red dress and tells an almost equally fat-thighed brunette to eat a fridge full of lasagna (who looks like she would eat the fridge, too).

                √ Sesame Street. Because it is not Sesame Street anymore. All the real characters are gone and replaced by wimps or third-rate actors in cheap feathery costumes that fool no one. Like the staff at Broward Community College.

                √ Ice Road Truckers. Jesus Murphy, that’s all I gotta say about that.

           Alain called to cancel out on the house-sitting. However, she has to do it before July 1 if she wants me to help. After that, I’ve promised to mind the shop for Dickens. I think I’ll take this weekend off, which is one of the few privileges of being unemployed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++