Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 13, 2007

July 13, 2007


           This is the primo setup for VHS (video tape) to DVD dubbing. Except for the direct burner, there are no computerized parts or software at work. Analog at every point it could be possibly be made analog. Even the cooling fan in the background is a dedicated piece. That is my irreplaceable Zenith monitor that will pick up every known broadcast frequency using a dial, not a clickswitch. This equipment uses gold plated cables that cost $15 a foot. The tape decks have the “chip” removed. In this photo, you can see the operation burning Sam’s tape to disk.
           Yet, I cannot get the tapes from the new guy to operate. I suppose that is why they bring them to me. These will be a challenge. All three tapes are some brand I’ve never seen before, called “BQ” for Broadcast Quality. All three produce a “chirp” and then garbled output. They look new but will not play video. I can pick up the audio, so it isn’t some strange Euro format. I’ll figure this one out but this won’t be easy.

           Other things were too easy, like the Thrift again today. Almost nobody in even to look. Mind you, the few that were around were interesting. I met “Q”, a lady who bills herself as one of the “little people”. Sorry, no pic, but trust me she is a small person who is not a midget. She hires herself out as an elf, leprechaun or anything that she can make a costume for. When I say she is not a midget, I’m referring to her proportions, not the condition of being a midget because I don’t know anything about that.
           I’m saying that although she stands three feet tall, she is perfectly proportioned. She has the same body and build as the Reb and that, folks, was perfection. Q is devastating because she projects complete self-confidence. She has entertained at parties hosted by Donald Trump, and charges $100 per hour. She works alone and dislikes the movie industry, so you won’t see her there.
           The few people that were in came in a steady trickle, just enough so that I could not get anything else done or work on the new computer. I should know better, as this has happened before at the Thrift. Unless I set up a work area and let Dickens field the customers, I have to take the computer home to get things repaired. Jerry came in and I could have sold his hat a few times over. He’s got this cap with a visor a foot long and a flap around back to keep the sun of his neck. I looked up the phone number of Buckingham Palace for him. Did you know the Queen’s phone number is listed?

           Well, her number anyway, I mean I’m not saying if you dialed up you'd get Liz on the blower. I stayed open a little late as some customers came in at the last minute. This gave me just enough time to get home, pick up my gear and head straight to Jimbo’s to set up. At the last minute, Mike brought a guitarist friend along, which kind of surprised me.
           I called a quick five-minute conference to make sure Mike understands I agreed only to form a duo, and that I do not audition on stage. He explained that he is not yet comfortable enough with the music to carry it alone, he needs the confidence supplied by a guitarist. Since he put it that way, I agreed, but only on the condition we treat that as just another condition of learning the ropes, that we will practice so that he can be confident.

           The guitarist was okay but did not contribute enough. He was also too heavily influenced by 1970’s Blues and could not break the habit of playing a turnaround every time. Maybe a third of our list uses this style of turnaround. There was also the eentsy matter that only Mike and I get free drinks at Jimbo’s. I get offered beer but I take a diet cola and tell peeps it is cheaper to tip me a dollar. The guitarist drank four beers, possibly thinking they were free. Nope. I explained that to Mike a month ago, but he may have forgotten since I was not drinking.
           Anyway, Mike had to pick up the tab. That’ll learn ‘im. We made enough in tips to cover it. Mike is also a bit of a perfectionist but we don’t have time to go there. He got first class demos that we could screw up royally and still get an applause. That is why I push for stage time as early as I can in each band. We’ve played three gigs our first month. He wanted to do Saturday but I reminded him of my booking at the place in Davie. Blue Crows has half the material we need, and a three week delay because of the guitar player who I canned. What a waste of time he was.

           Two of Mike’s lady friends dropped by, but they did not mingle. They had a gab-fest and I already forget the name of the one who introduced herself. In fact, the most memorable part of the evening was the Troll. He just came back from the doctor with around eight bottles of pills and a directive from the bar for nobody to buy him a drink.
           When we finished the Blue Crows set, I continued until past midnight with my Not Half Bad set. Did not make even on extra dollar in tips. There were four Latino guys around thirty playing pool and trying to pick up women twice their age. I’ve got my act moving along very well now. Remember how, when you were a bratty kid and saw a single on stage, you would make that crippled old joke about does he “play any Deep Purple, man?”

           Well, the same thing still happens in Florida, almost. Except, they are not kids, they are grown men over 40. And they aren’t joking. You think I’m making this up, don’t you?
           It wouldn’t be right not to mention the weather today. The streets are deserted. I have everything cranked to the limit. How come why’s that the cat is covered in fur and she doesn’t even act like it is warm? I made two quarts of iced tea, I’m going to lie down while it cools in the fridge. Adios.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++