Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 6, 2007

July 6, 2007


          This picture I call, “Moving, Florida-style”. Why rent a truck when five car-loads will do?* Make that four car-loads if you can get a buddy to help pile it up, as in this case. And don’t forget, side roads be damned, to drive right down Federal Hwy at ten in the morning. Moments later, this car pulled a high-speed u-turn and hit the far curb. Right in front of a squad car. Fortunately for them, the cop, and this in a town not noted for compassion toward the stupid, just shook his head and drove on.
          MS, as if they are not already among the world’s most hated corporations, got me again. That damn wma format that can only be played by that Windows Media Player contraption. I still have not learned to set up Bearshare, so I inadvertently got some wma tunes (I will fix that problem today). Of course, MS won’t say anything until you download the file to your flash drive, take it home and burn it to a CD. Then, later when you are five miles from an Internet link, surprise! “A security update is required to play this file.”

          [Author's note 2016: the following is redacted material from one of the rare times I'll pay attention to an overheard television broadcast. Sorry, I did not look at the screen so good luck trying to find it. The point I am making was that you do not go to work for somebody for years doing what they thought was your share of the work, then present them later with a huge bill for your "services". This seems to be the premise for these claims for housework once the marriage goes sour. They tend to compare marriage to "maid service".]

          Today’s adjective would be “curious”. That is roughly how every situation ended by midnight. I had a curious day. Somebody donated several copies of feminist literature, which I browsed. Most of it was self-serving, but I do agree on one major point. I do not think women “choose” to become housewives any more than I “chose” to go pile lumber during my teenage summers. The fact is, I had very little choice in the matter at the time, so in that sense I do relate to prices paid for housework – provided nobody entered into a contract to perform the work for free and then demands to get paid some ridiculous lump sum at a later point. Even if that could possibly be agreed in advance, it is a stupid way to do business, and stupid business people do not make money. Possible exception: cable TV.

          The logic is simple: it is unlikely the maid service promised (as do women when they get married) to stick around for better or for worse, did the work, and then sent in a huge bill. Maids don’t generally get away with that. I read that housewife services are worth incredible amounts. I could agree, but only so long as separation, divorce and adultery correspondingly are viewed as breach of contract. Otherwise, becoming a housewife is a valid career choice, and those choices may not work out for everybody.

EVENING
          Sales were brisk and a couple of California guys bought, among other bizarre items, that Budweiser jacket that was listed for around $40. A charming but heavy-set gal was also in and chatted for nearly an hour. I gave her directions to my gig. She never showed but you know, I’m okay with that.

          It was a great, if mostly empty gig. There were never more than six or eight people in at one time, and in a pattern that matched the rainstorms. Some people I know around here would be lucky to get eight people but I am used to drawing a full house. Therefore, I am doing something wrong. I played the full time, even to a single patron by the end. I believe I mentioned my fruitless search on July 4, up and down the roads, where I set up and played a free set at every pub I could find. Not so fast. They certainly know I am out there now.
          Later. There does not appear to be a setting to see the file type in Bearshare. You can widen and examine the file column, but this is not satisfactory as some file names are too long. What a dumb mistake, Bearshare.

          [Author's note 2016: why borrow a truck when 19 motorcycle loads will do. BWAAAA-ha-ha-ha-ha!]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++