Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, July 9, 2007

July 9, 2007


           I was on the way to the shop to check my email, and over 10% of my California calls responded. While I can’t give you any info about that, this could be the event that enhances my reputation as a writer of non-fiction, or at least vastly increases my odds. Today's photo does not do justice to the subject. This guy decided to fix his horn and pulled up in front of the old-folks-home at 9:00 a.m. to do it.
           Today is one of those reasons you leave this State in the summertime. There are actually people who work outside in this heat, but I am not one of them. I have to put up that see-through divider in the car again so I’m not air-conditioning the entire compartment. I spent half the day proof-reading a patent application contract written by a Florida lawyer.

           My advice is that if you encounter such a document, you take the half-day trouble as well. Seven spelling mistakes and four grammatical errors in six pages. It is entirely possible to get a law degree in these parts without knowing what a hyphenated word is all about. That works both ways, because I’ll wager this must be the leading town for people to be sued in single-syllable clauses.
           Anyway, that paid the rent so I took the rest of the afternoon off in the cool air of the Aventura Border’s [bookstore]. I could not find even one book with even one chapter on the internal settings of a Comcast cable modem. Don’t ask why I want to know, as we already had that little chat about what you looked like in High School. I like Border’s, the women who hang out there might be unemployed, but at least they are not afraid to pretend they can read.

           That reminds me, last Saturday as I rode along Dixie Hwy, I noticed a section where all the stores were for Church supplies. I’d found Jesus’ strip mall! I had to stop and take a few pictures. There was an old coot on the sidewalk who asked me if I worked for the CIA. I asked him if was reading his newspaper or just looking at the pictures. Stumped him on that one.
           The most interesting thing on TV today was the new video security system. I never said [before], but there was a gap between when the tape ran out and I got home each day. With the motion detector, I get a week at a time. The things that go on around this neighborhood in the late afternoon, let me tell you. I see the old guy by the guest parking likes the ladies and the cat chases shadows and sunbeams while I’m away. Also recorded were a number of new cars I’ve not seen before that drove down this lane. Smile.

           Tomorrow will be a killer from noon to midnight, including a scheduled band rehearsal with the new Blue Crows. I haven’t really looked at their song list since last time, probably because I won’t be the one holding things up. One does not really have to practice “Good-Hearted Woman”, by Waylon and Willie.
           Here it comes, the bookstore trivia. Okay, the Knights Templar, a tough crowd who perfected their plundering during the crusades and built up large estates in Europe. Why they came back is not explained, but anyway this was fine for a thousand years while they ran an extortion racket. Then the local Kings and the Popes decided to consolidate their powers, only to notice these Templar types were living in castles all over the damn place. Big castles, with drawbridges this long.
           However, ten centuries was not time enough for the Templars to grow any brains, so they accepted the invitation of the French king to come out to play. Philip IV promptly arrested and executed the lot of them, except for a few who ran for Scotland (Since the loot up there is nothing to brag about, it is a good thing they took along the Holy Grail, for it ensured them book and movie royalties right down to the present.) That was on April 13, 1307. A Friday.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++