Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

September 26, 2007


          Who likes Miami rush hour? Obviously thousands of people, by the looks of it. They love each other, often driving within inches together, a phenomena I’ve rarely seen outside of Caracas. I was heading for Quizno’s, now a fancy sandwich shop. Took me two hours in a rainstorm, then I forgot my headlights on and needed a boost. On a break some midget lady cop started making eyes at me and I would have, except moments later her partner sat down and he was no midget.
          Live and learn. After much screwing around with the Internet connection, it turns out that the cleverly worded PDA net access service is not broadband. The advertising contains dozens of references to broadband, but it is not broadband. I think we’ve dealt with this issue before – the telecom companies and ilk will falsely try to convince you that wireless service is cheap. The slang for the problem goes, “Pay the Bill!”

          Dial-up technology is top level American-think. Modems were okay in their day, but for a new product to revert to operating on that system shows real lack of tutoring. What’s fooling people is the term “HiSpeed” used in combination with evasive answers by salespeople and literature. It is confused with “High Speed”, a term associated with FastAccess and Broadband, both of which are different technologies altogether. The trick is, when you correctly ask them if it is a broadband connection, they simply pretend they thought you meant Broadband (with a capital “B”) and say no.
           Let me clear up the point: at this time in history, you cannot transmit real-time voice or video over dial-up phone lines. You MUST have a true broadband connection and you must pay for it on top of either phone or cable service, that is, the basic service is priced separately and represents a “hidden cost” of your Internet (with a capital “I”) connection. Remember that the Internet connection is not necessarily Internet service and that may also cost you extra. Or just pay me $50 and I’ll hook it up for you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++