Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

September 5, 2007

          This is the bike rack at the local Wal-Mart. I thought I was colorful and my bicycle is the red one. I’m the only guy who can go all through that store and not find one thing I want to buy. I was looking for answering machines but all they had were GE’s, and you know what I think of those. All of these bikes are parked in the shade. Riding in this weather is okay, as long as you keep moving. The moment you stop, the sun starts to bake you on one side.
          It looks like I finally get to see Epcot, after a slight delay of around twenty-three years. In 1984, Doctor Jose and I set out from New Orleans in my partner’s TransAm to see the place and got as far as Ft. Walton Beach. Two blonde babes pulled up beside us on the freeway that Spring and we never got more than another twenty miles, although we did get much further with the girls. Marion called and it is set for the 15th. I have not seen her since February, 2000.
          She’s got a condo rented in Kissimmee, one of those places I think I’ve flown over. Except for the 2003 trip to California, this will be the furthest north I’ve been in Florida. The trip is around the same distance [from here] as Key West. It will be a full weekend and I’ve been adequately warned about the Disney prices.
          Meanwhile, I’ve written to Barry University about a teaching position, telling them flat out that I do not have the qualifications. What I do have are the recommendations of some of their graduates who have taken lessons from me. I’m predicting nothing will come of it, but it puts me back in the job market.
          This occurred while I was investigating the Florida teachers’s certificate. It may be possible to get one of these things without a degree. Oddly, I have the degree but I don’t want to use it, which is another story. Beginning teachers in this state make $38,000 per year, which really sucks. The good news is you get two months off with pay in the summer. This compares well to other jobs I’ve had, but the two months is all in one stretch and you gotta like that. Full benefits is another plus.
          I wrote an open letter to Australia asking somebody to send me a banknote. There was an article on counterfeiting that stated the plastic money in Australia was designed from the word go to prevent photocopying. It has clear sections that you can see through. We’ll see if there is one person in that continent who will pop a bill into an envelope without asking a ton of questions.
          Craigslist, the Internet room, or whatever you call it, is now the 7th most read news page in the world. So, I decided to look into the details. It has 130 cities listed and it is 25% owned by eBay. However, that was apparently a buyout of a major shareholder a few years ago, rather than a takeover attempt. The project started around 1995 in San Francisco as a simple list of email addresses. According to themselves, they have 24 employees and work out of a “Victorian” house. They charge $25 to list ads although I don’t know anyone who has ever actually paid that. (The general list is free.)
          The trivia for today concerns Case Yellow [code name for the German attack on France in May 1940]. In reality, it was a brilliant gamble, since the Allies had more and better tanks, and they outnumbered the Germans. Today I find out that there was something the Germans had twelve times more of than the French. Radio operators.