Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, November 16, 2007

November 16, 2007

           One of the things that always threw me about religion was the terms. I never understood words like “apostolic”. When I was young, we were treated as if we were supposed to know. Today I understand this confusion was intentional, but it was quite a guilt trip at the time. All the other kids around me nodded like they knew, a behavior they still exhibit to this day.
           At one point I thought a major chapter of the Bible was about being born again, not just one mistranslated phrase. This sign reminded me that I still have no clue what they mean. Women’s Conference? Ever seen a church having a Men’s Conference?
           I did not go to the blues jam as planned. Upon arriving home, I felt woozy, as when coming down with something. Having long since noticed that when I have a severe head cold, I make the same kinds of mistakes and bad decisions that many people make all day long, I decided against appearing on stage. There will be other jam sessions.
           For the first time, I read a blog by somebody I am acquainted with. Anita. Come on, all you other people I know, where are your blogs? Why is there such a gap with my crowd when it comes to computers, and those who are a few years younger? Demographics alone don’t answer for it. Of the literal and unexaggerated thousands of women I know, Anita is the only one with a blog. And I’ve never met her in person.
           I’ll link to her blog if she says okay. For now, our respective works target far different audiences. Her pages are random, with menu links; mine are linear, meant to be read in [reverse] order. Bear in mind, however, when I first planned an “on-line journal” in 1997, there was no such things as templates, or blogs for that matter. Moreover, it took me six months to remove all the extras and make my blog read like an older manuscript.
           Crazy Gayle Putalarga is back in the news. She had all the new parts taken out of her computer and all the old non-working parts put back in, at a cost of $187. It seems she thinks it is going to work back like it did before she broke it. (Physically broke it, kicked it back against the wall, snapped the antenna and shorted the PCI slot.) I warned the guys to get the money before giving her the computer back. She refused to pay Mike when he went out to pick it up, so listen guys, she is off her rocker. If you lose money, I warned you.
           I put in a couple more hours trying to find (Internet cafĂ©) timing software with no luck. Even the most refined searches kept coming back to the sites which use SEO. This also means all you people paying for almost any other kind of web representation are wasting your money. You cannot be found. I’m not finished looking with diminished hope. I want software to install on a single, non-client computer, that the user has to log on with a one-time password paid for in advance, and the computer keeps track of the duration of the session.
           Afterwards, I biked to the library to read up on RFID. This is the “Radio Frequency Identifier” chip that is replacing bar codes. There are several models, but the scariest is the passive chip which emits a string of numbers when it picks up the correct frequency. Passive means it needs no power, rather it uses the energy in the scanner beam. There is a type the size of a grain of rice that can be embedded under your skin to track your movements. Still, they’ll have to make it a lot smaller not to be confused with the brain of anyone who would allow such an implant.
           More interesting was a second book on inventory tracking. It concerned a transport company which had the RFID chips surreptitiously mounted on their pallets. While the spotlight was on huge reductions of delays it is apparent that the real savings came from the wholesale nabbing of pilferers. For instance, “shipping costs” to a nearby city dropped from $91 to $5 per pallet, ahem. The statistical results, either way, were very impressive. Even the stat formulas used reveal how the concerns of missing cargo has dropped from percentages to tiny fractions of percentages.
           Finally, I pulled out the Big Dictionary. “Apostolic” is defined as pertaining to the pope as successor of St. Peter as of 1477. Wow, that really clears things up, at least for those who nod and pretend to know that Simon Barjona was called Peter because it means “stone”.