Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

November 20, 2007


           Here’s proof. My original Apple IIe clone, with the lid off. One of the first personal computers ever built. This picture was taken in February of 1982. Note the game controller, tiny monitor and the [then fantastic] disk drive. See the 5-1/4” floppy, containing an incredible thing called “Visicalc”. Rusty bought this in Taiwan and shipped it labeled as “typewriter parts”. I used that computer for ten years.
           So much for the “new” crowd with their Internet, huh? I was hunting for work all day again, being very careful. There are not really so many things I can do in Florida because the economy doesn’t need that many educated people. The answer is to get more educated. I have begun to gather all my transcripts from over the years. The plan is to transfer every available credit into a single university and apply for an MBA. Sorry, Barry U, I simply cannot afford to repeat 35% of what I already know just to meet your residency requirements.

           I look back in amazement at all the dozens of graduate-level courses I took while working for the phone company. Shows you what I will do given the opportunity. Unlike my co-workers, I never considered going to school a chore. I was a fixture on campus much like they were at the local strip clubs. Ahem, I can’t even remember some of the courses, such as Pascal and C. I went to tough schools. My GPA was only 3.1, but be advised there were times when my mark of 65% was top of the class.
           Actually, I remember that episode, Financial Accounting 1 & 2, in the winter of ’88. I swore I would never again take a twelve-credit course. It was a grueling half-year in duration. To give you a perspective, Business Law was only a three-credit affair. So far, I’ve found 182 credits I’ve never applied toward a degree. This is serious shit. To give you another perspective, one only needs 40 of those credits to get a Bachelor’s. If this seems odd, consider that I originally took the courses for content, not credit. There was no need to add them up until now because I always had a good job.

ADDENDUM
           In the evening, I read some Chinese history. One kid had parents too poor to afford a mosquito net. Our hero was so devoted, that he would lie still beside them at night. This is so that the mosquitoes would bite him instead of them. He would not flinch or brush the bugs away for the motion might disturb the parent’s slumber. There is a great moral in this story, for I, too, had parents like that. Except for the part where the kid volunteered, I mean.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++