Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, November 23, 2007

November 23, 2007


           Jimbo’s is kind of on the music map now. I couldn’t see people dancing out in the parking lot, but I was aware of quite a few new people walking in for a look around. Turns out they were drawn in by the activity. Jimbo’s will never be an A room, but neither will any in-place club along Dixie. Here is a shot of the landmark broken neon sign above the barbeque.
           Oh, and the guy that took most of the pictures was the caterer, or at least he must have been a caterer. Nobody cooks like that without going to school for it. Is that the niche I mentioned? Catering parties with an entertainer? Hey, Hippie, don’t steal my idea.
           I tried deep-fried turkey. Yes, it is a significant difference. There is no “dry” meat, which I thought was the bird, not the cooking method. The whitest meat needs no gravy now. Rumor is two medium birds are better than one large, and each bird is done in one hour, thirty-eight minutes.
           This is the chef with the cooker. Like all deep-fryers, it has an internal basket for the goods. A pretty basic setup, note the drain spigot. Rig not suitable for bachelors unless they breed a smaller turkey. As shown, it is portable but the downside I see is the vertical posture. That means unstable equilibrium. To the Runt (who is back on the scene) that indicates “easy to tip over”.
           The “Gang” was in today, trying to get a free session because we were closed y’day. Now they are joking around how the Runt has accused them of plagiarism. I explained that that is what the Runt does. He spends his life barking at the ankles of great people. I’ll take a look tomorrow what the fuss is about.

           Roland, the Canuck, is justifiably ticked off. The original offer of $5,000 was sent to the wrong address, hardly his fault. Come to think of it, I have not heard from the office myself. That makes a strong possibility they are swamped with similar problems.

           [Author's note 2016: Roland was my next door neighbor at the original trailer court. He lost $1,200 because he didn't accept their offer until he heard about it.]

           For the day, I was inside the office, job-hunting. There are exactly 132 writing jobs in the State. One has to eliminate the secretarial positions posing as writing jobs, the bottom feeders “send us a sample” and the student “work free but looks good on your portfolio” bunch. One day I’ll look back and realize I went through all this crap in the 90’s and forgot the lessons because I’m going through them again. A writing career means sifting out 99% of the crap.
           One particular ad is suspect, they keep asking for a sample of 200 words on the topic of Investment Lawyers. The old collecting samples scam? I don’t know. On the other hand, they are quoting an exact rate (.015-.020 cents per word) and are persistent. That plops them somewhere between okay and something for nothing. The ad is geared toward journalism grads. Still, there is something about it that rings true.
           One conclusion I dare make about the ads I’ve seen is that there must be some new brand of journalism grad on the job market. Strange as it seems, learning to type is still not a requirement of that faculty. However, various non-writing tasks are stressed in the majority of ads, which I’ll leave you to investigate yourselves. Also, most of the ads [for writers] contained typos, grammar or syntax errors. That proves it is just as important as ever to scam your way past Human Resources. The world seems full of eople who can’t write advertising to hire people who can. Or it is not unusual, I mean.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++