Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, December 31, 2007

December 31, 2007


           It’s a half-empty parking lot. It is supposed to be full to over-flowing. Deeming it wise to stay off the roads by late afternoon, I spent the entire evening right here, with a good book. I very rarely go out on New Year’s unless I’m playing, and I swear this is the last year I will miss because I don’t have an act ready. I’ve never been a great celebrant of this holiday anyway, for I got out of the habit by working every New Year’s Eve and Day between 1979 and 1997. In fact, the last time I really went out was in Venezuela in 2000.
           Hallandale, 5:33 a.m. I was up late and early but my annual review is done. It is clear I no longer need be apprehensive about either losing a “job” or retiring early. I made 2/3 as much money not working as I did before. Did I mention my teaching certificate is about to be renewed? (In the end, I did not renew. It just was not worth the cost.) Otherwise, it was a great year.

           However, all was not roses in 2007. Florida is one of those states where ignorance has the upper hand. This forces even competent, educated people to water down their performance to the level of the idiots. By upper hand, I mean the system here does not necessarily side with you just because you are legally right or stand on high moral ground.
           For instance, it is a fairly complicated procedure to sue people here for breach of contract, while apparently it is easy to go to court in Florida and get off by merely stating you are “sorry”. (Remember the lady yakking on her cell phone who killed the teenage girl? The lady got six months, suspended. Being allowed to disclaim negligence is getting away with murder.)

           The real estate market has been surprisingly resilient. I predicted (in writing, back in 2002) the ills would begin around February, 2007. While the decline began, there has been no collapse. I suspect the lending community realizes what would happen if they dared to begin massive foreclosures, and are holding back to squeeze at least one more round of payments out of the suckers. It can’t continue much longer, for the payments on a $500,000 condo are $5,000 per month and the people who lent you the money also borrowed it all the way back to people like me, who will repossess without compunction. Let them spend cake.
           As I pointed out just now, the parking lots at both the greyhound track and horse track have been less than half full once the shine wore off. You can’t fool the only guy who rides his bike through there every day. There are fewer employment ads for unskilled labor there and people are not flocking to live near these establishments. I may walk over there at midnight to see what happens. [In the end, I did not. What do I have in common with gamblers?]

           It appears I have a case against the title agency that took from November 12 to December 14 to do something they promised me that first day. They also repeatedly lied that they had done it, and that they would call me back with confirmation. The damages are not yet determined, but it would seem in the range of $2,400. Of course, in Florida, wait until you get the first batch of money, then sue. The whole idea is to settle out of court.
           We closed early so I used the spare time to review potential new tunes. I downloaded four versions of “Stormy Monday”, all of which are equally boring. If some draggy blues tune had to come out on top, that might as well have been the one. I’ll do what it takes to learn it. I’ve got the original by BB King. I recall some different turnaround than what he plays, so the song has been copied. Who would be lame enough to try to sound original by substituting jazz chords? Besides Clapton, I mean.

           The fireworks began before dark, I put the TV on for Pudding-Tat and noticed the show was “The Beverly Hillbillies”. Isn’t that show from the 1960s, or am I missing something with regards to modern cable programming? I think they could have done better casting Ellie-Mae, although you voyeuristic little boys probably never noticed, as I did, that she has cellulite, droopy boobs and fat calves. Of course, you weren’t dating Beverly T. Gillingham, either, and I was. Unless I say, you will never in a zillion years know the name the "T." stands for.
           (For those who remember, that was the real name of Angelface, the first "older woman" I ever dated. She was 19. Absolute physical perfection. I'm saying here I noticed Ellie-Mae was not a pretty as the gal I was dating. Next to Angleface, Donna Douglas resembled a slightly puffy, draggy-boobed younger version of somebody's mother, as did Marilyn Monroe. When I was a teen, I liked my women to look like women, and my teen gals to look like teen gals, with minimal overlap.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++