Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, January 5, 2008

January 5, 2008


           This is what the bike looks like loading up with supplies for the trip tomorrow. I’ve been kicking around this town for too many weekends and I need a break. More about this later.
           My Internet resume, or rather my resume on the Internet. It is not something I would normally consider (being akin to writing one’s name on the washroom wall), but I was able to display just parts of it here and there, enough to tweak interest without putting sensitive information on the market. I noted several states have gravitated their job postings to a single large site, although there are also large private job web pages. They are all poorly organized and highly centralized (“an improved means to an unimproved end”). And they all are very serious about getting your personal information before you are even allowed to look.
           I’ve eliminated ITT, that’s the place that advertises heavily for correspondence courses. They have a campus around here but I was able to find out they pay just $15 per hour for a Masters. Must be one of them “Florida Masters”. Mind you, the work must be pretty slack for that so I’ll keep it as an option. There is still no info on what an “adjunct” does. We know the definition but nobody will say what the job duties are.

           Peace of mind. All the backup copies are done. Don’t you hate people that really do make systematic backups? Ha. It is usually not the data so much as the time put in keeping it organized and updated that gets so expensive and irreplaceable. My music disks alone are probably worth a few thousand bucks. That includes the hundreds of aup files modified for my stage act. Some of them barely resemble the originals. Trust me, I learned the backup lesson the hard way, but that was before you were born.
           This meant a perfectly good Saturday night spent at home. Um, well, it was raining, and there is no place to go around here that I haven’t been five times. So I’m thinking to use the time to my best advantage and I ran through every possible menu on Nero Express, the disk burning software. Fascinating except that most of it is incomprehensible. There is even a scandisk feature that works with optical disks. Hang on, I’ve found some things that need looking into a lot more closely. See you later.

           Adventure—can it be planned? I think so. I’ve examined the train service, called “Tri-Rail”. I rode this once before and have been meaning to do it as a day trip. Tomorrow is that day and the plan is to do an interesting round trip for ten dollars or less. Read tomorrow to see how it went. They don’t make it easy to plan in Florida. What I’ve discovered is that they allow up a maximum of two bicycles per train only if foot traffic permits. The trains have a special decal, but they forgot to describe it, so we’ll assume a very small decal.
           The fare is $4.00 but they don’t say if that is one-way or both. The bicycle must be locked into an approved rack or it “will be confiscated”. In the event of an emergency, the bicycle must be abandoned. The bastards! I wonder where they keep them all? Now the plan.

           I make a thermos of coffee and a half-loaf of sandwiches. I bike to the Hollywood station and watch how it is done. The first Sunday train goes north to Magnonia. See, I told you they ran out of names to call places in Florida. I ride to the end and disembark until the last train returns before dark. No satisfactory maps exist, just schematics, so I’m guessing north of West Palm Beach and I’ll take my chances. Isn’t it telling how everybody I’ve talked to about this trip for the past week wants to go along, but they lack the equipment, the time, or the means. My biggest challenge is, “What kind of sandwiches?”
           Excuse me for a second here, folks.
           Hey, Wallace! Are you still in Muskatoga? Ha, ha, heard about how the women and kids have to get out and walk beside the car so the lake ice won’t break. You seen one moose, you seen ‘em all, same as the bars in Seattle. I heard six Muskatogans a year die from head injuries after asking, “Cold enough for ya?” You are welcome to head back down to civilization and then a little past it to Florida. Then you’d be bike riding in the sun tomorrow. In Magnonia, not Muskatoga. Neener, neener!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++