Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 15, 2008

February 15, 2008

           This unusual picture was over Miami Harbor y’day. Don’t read too much into the scenery, the balloon is small, maybe 50 feet in diameter and the weird structure to the left is a sculpture a half block away. The two are not related other than I felt it was an interesting shot. The [tethered] balloon was not plastered with advertising, so maybe it was a Russian balloon.
           I was cooped up in the shop all day, although something did happen. With all the applications I’ve got out there, I was still surprised to get a call from a Miami college offering me a position I’m not sure I can fill. They seem to think I can, based on my aptitude. I’ll think it over, maybe a compromise. Keep informed however, that nothing has been agreed upon yet.
           My preliminary analysis of Quickbooks versus Peachtree is complete. Beyond understanding the nuances, running the software is on a daily basis is virtually identical. Therefore, the extra effort to learn Peachtree is not reflected by any increased pay. That tells me it is probably not a good idea to bother with Peachtree for an extra 25 cents per hour. The upcoming week will thus be centered on Quickbooks. You might say Quickbooks and I will be backing each other up, ha ha.
           Jimbo’s was lively tonight, the cash was fine. Pork chops for breakfast. Little Joe was in to sing a few and she is now working at Capt. J’s. While I dislike that joint, Joe puts a different spin on matters. I told her I’d reconsider on evenings when she was on duty. It was her birthday this week and I was truly surprised that I had subconsciously assumed she was at least 15 years younger than she said. Them blondes, you know.
           Ah, yes, the secret guitarist. I had to zip back home at 8:00 p.m. to pick up a power cable I’d forgotten. When I got back, the staff reported that a guitarist had shown up. Things get haywire at this point. Apparently he pulled up in a friend’s car, who proceeded to get a ticket from the police for expired tags right out in front of the club. Thus, they arrived and left within moments of my travels because I did not see anything. Nor did they return. There is something a little too familiar about all this yet I know I haven’t been near a zoo since 2005.
           Furthermore, the staff now says the person had dark brown hair, not gray hair. Right, Jackie, I always get those two colors mixed up myself. It gets curiouser and curiouser. It must be Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum, for at this time I cannot think of anybody I associate with that could manage what just happened. At least, not without a scriptwriter.
           Something else in the works is possible new gear. Up to now, every last item I have on stage has been necessity. The more hard-boiled clients have figured out I can control the mic volumes and the lo-hat is now an expected instrument. To keep the show aggressive, I’m considering some luxuries. My wish list includes retro-look microphones, a mixer with effects and all new cables and pedals. Plus some heavy-duty mic stands. One day, I would like to replace that Ampeg [bass amp] with something half the weight. You can do that when you are not married.
           The laser and fog machine come later.