Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, February 7, 2008

February 7, 2008


           More antenna work. Note the construction worker in bare feet and cutoffs but wearing a hardhat and safety goggles. This can best be understood by reading the fine print on his home insurance policy. This is the drip loop at the trailer entrance, but I am not picking up any signals at all. Back to the drawing board.
           I made a jug of apple-banana smoothies. Somehow I managed to leave an unfinished half-cup on the counter. When I got up this morning, ah, the wonderful aroma of home-made wine. Did you know in college I used to make it by the five-gallon jug? I don’t drink wine, just make it, which did wonders for my popularity. I dislike all wine, especially grape wines. Otherwise, you name it, I can make wine out of it. Did you know that California wines don’t have any vintage years? The reason is that the weather in that locality is constant all the time.

           [Author's note 2017: that last paragraph is not clear. What it means is that California wines have not vintage years because the weather is so perfect, no year is better than another. That could be taken two ways.]

           Here’s more trivia. Aces, meaning the fighter pilots that shoot down more than five enemy airplanes in combat. Most of them have blue eyes, are shorter than five foot five and, if they have any children, have more girls than boys. Demographically, they won’t make it into the next century.
           Where is Marion? No word from the left coast in almost two weeks. And, of all the strange things, a complete set of expensive certified birth certificates showed up in my mail box. I had ordered some long ago, but those have already arrived. These cost $60 each so you figure it out.
           My search for knowledge on nano-technology is stalled. There is just nothing I can find that covers the topic. Wikipedia defines it, but does not describe it in any depth, which is how one defines “Wikipedia”. I combed literally hundreds of bookshelves and finally reached my time limit. There are at least two parts to the process. One is the atom-by-atom building of the materials themselves. The other is the construction of tiny machines from that material.

           Both are equally fascinating. It will obviously be militarized first, one project sprays nano-particles over the enemy custom designed to eat away the rubber parts from his vehicles. There is talk of nano-robots injected into your bloodstream to root out all cholesterol or strengthen bone joints. Not a good substitute for bike-riding, but still.
           As I’m leaving the library, the Hippie called. I caught every second word in which he is saying his open mic is successful. (I’ll have to look that up in Wikipedia.) That means he wants to jam. Okay, but in return, he has to put in a half-hour at Jimbo’s, and I want new material. I’m okay with “El Paso” and “Come Together”, but I want “Long-haired Country Boy” and “The Breeze”, things with real bass lines for a change.

           Fred and I soldered the final parts of the antenna, which required four hands and two soldering irons. Adam and I are slating Saturday morning to test the antenna, he is also picking up the stray signals. He’ll be able to tap in as soon as I get a reading. I’ve never mentioned, but I have become a trailer park consultant in many ways. People who live here often can’t understand documents they receive and I act as interpreter. During this process, I found out if one does not pay the rent, the trailer park instantly files an eviction.
           If they do not follow up, the court can dismiss the case after 60 days. Actually, anybody, even a passerby, can do so. It is not instant, in that they have to file a motion for dismissal. And the court took ten months to file the motion themselves. It isn’t all over until it is dismissed, but I noticed a certain Judge’s stamp on the paper. It could be coincidence, but I’ll look into it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++