Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, March 1, 2008

March 1, 2008


           The Honda Goldwing. It is becoming more like an open air car all the time. These are three-wheelers. They look expensive and get a car-like 42 miles per gallon. Maybe I can Internet a price for you later. It is one massive machine and basic repairs cannot be easy. You would not want to hit a Florida pothole doing forty on one of these monsters.
           All morning I had to redo the shop computers, which still won’t recognize my new print server. Saturday is always interesting for customers. It is always an easy day when everybody is present, as the skill sets usually result in a solution to every problem in record time. For example, today Fred and I even found the correct motherboard sound drivers for this computer, no mean feat.

           I normally leave my heavy speakers overnight at the Friday gig if there is any chance of a Saturday crowd. There wasn’t. When I went to get the speakers, it seems there is something to the pretty lady and the five dollar tip. It was coincidence, but if she was looking for a great show, she saw one of the best presentations I have ever put on in my life, solo or otherwise. As a reminder, it was coincidence, for I had not live-tested all the revamped equipment. Yes, she is blonde, just like me.
           Then I put a full two hours into research on Quickbooks. Not just reading, but looking at their recent ads. They are indeed plugging the software as a solution to the small business accounting realm, with one ad showing a roofer tacking invoices instead of shingles. If he tries to learn Quickbooks as a method of getting organized, he would be smarter to jump off that roof. The closer I get to finding a system that will work for someone like him, the more I find I am setting up a complete new company from scratch. That is something most people probably buy Quickbooks hoping to avoid.

           With the latest cool season in memory, most days have been utterly perfect bicycle weather. JP and I have been talking over a plan, I stress just talking. If you want to buy a smaller house in Florida, you may be stuck with somebody’s old clapboard cabin. The problem is with new houses, they all tend to be 2,700 square foot mansions in subdivisions. I’m saying it is hard to buy a new 1,350 square foot house around here. We fully understand the economies of scale, that it does not cost twice as much to build twice as big, but some people [like me] don’t want to live in some Kremlin.

           Also, I have some very definite ideas about what constitutes an “efficiency” or “bachelor” apartment that seem lacking in the general populace. Like total soundproofing (I once had a summer job soundproofing and it works very well). Or how about two small dishwashers instead of one. Maybe a locking fridge. JP and I will have to go over all this, since he is the mechanically-minded where I am structurally-minded.
           Later. You cannot get a straight answer out of Honda. They will not just tell you what a Goldwing costs. You have to "contact a dealer". What's that smell? Used 2005 units with around 15,000 miles are on eBay for around $25,000. So new GL 1800 "trikes" probably retail for around $36,000. That's with the heated seat and hand grips, which I figure you'll need if you are dumb enough to spend that much on a motorcycle.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++