Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, March 15, 2008

March 15, 2008


           This is my Javascript book, by an author who feels self-famous enough to go by just his last name of “thau” (uncapitalized). To me, he is no more than another author of computer manuals who fails to double-check his own work. Dozens of his examples and directions have been corrupted by a spell-checker. The book has the fatal MS flaw – it has not been proofread at all beyond the first few chapters. More about it in a moment, but I finally tried to diagram the language, for example, group together text commands, or form commands. Impossible.
           I liked today. The morning was for study, mid-day at the shop with the laptops and the afternoon at the job. I didn’t sell anything but I learned a lot about the way they do business. I’m already beginning to dislike the Canadian callers, because they have that annoying characteristic of being artificially nice, like it fools anybody. You should not be calling about vacations in the USA when you don’t have $50 to your name. An American will tell you he’s broke; a Canadian will try to be nice about it and waste time.

           Generally, I like the work, but keep focused that this is not my new career. This type of occupation does not attract my peers and there are always difficulties with that [situation] in the long run. I am basically working to save enough money to move to Colorado, which means around $5,000. I could move any time, however, because I could dip into resources but I don’t care to do that.
           In response to those who could not answer the question about Johnny Cash’ middle name, I admit to having an advantage. When I asked the question, I already knew he didn’t have a middle name, or a first name for that matter. That is correct, Johnny Cash has no first name. Around the time he was born, it was customary to call children by initials. Similar to “J.D. Clampett”, he was born “J.R. Cash”. When he was inducted, the Army records must show a first name so somebody wrote in “John”.

           I’m learning a lot about laptops. They are a generation later than desktops and the components are of a more modern design. Also, they are built to be easily snapped and pinned together by unskilled labor. During the testing period, I was able to find more details about how older CD technology led to today’s standards. One thing I’ve noticed about the data disks I’m using more than then, there does not seem to be that much of a space savings between data video and MPEG video. That is, if I record a movie as a data disk, and the same movie as standard “movie” disk, they both play the same and occupy roughly the same amount of data space. Yet the MPEG is by far the more complicated and problematic format. It makes me suspicious why MPEG is the standard, and my guess is that it has totally to do with copy protection.
           Javascript. The new job has short breaks between callers that allow me to read. I now know far more about Javascript than usual. It uses retard counting. It breaks no new ground and has learned nothing from the mistakes of earlier languages. For example, it does not leave a space between text strings and actually makes most functions harder to use than the languages they stole them from. What? Okay, retard counting is where they start from zero instead of one. January is month zero, get it—retard counting, and if you owe me a hundred in twenties, you are welcome to use it. Absolutely the best way to prove you are overeducated and undersmart.

           [Author’s note: After some minor research, I see that for all the years I have referred to retard counting, this is the first [known] time I have written anything. So if I get famous for coining the term, good. It was retarded when it first came out and should have been corrected by 1965. All “new” languages of any worth should adopt conventional numbering from the get-go. And by default, leave a space between words unless commanded to do otherwise.]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++