Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, March 17, 2008

March 17, 2008

           Look who came bouncing back. Trader John’s, the granddaddy of all bookstores. He has re-opened less than a half-block from the shop. What’s that road parallel to Hollywood Blvd? Tyler. You know where Tyler jogs over to Polk westbound just past Dixie? There it is, the last shop in that little plaza where Subologist sandwhich used to be. Notice both these businesses have moved closer to us in the past few months. If a Starbucks opens next door, I’ll really smell a fish.
           Another day, another dollar. I’m making every predictable error, but those are part of the learning curve. Sales today were the equivalent of a fairly decent Florida job, so I kept at it without a break all shift. While it is still new, would you like to hear about the deadbeats that call up? Okay, first of all, I know you have a credit card because that is how we got your address, bub. I believe that you have spent every penny of credit you have, but don’t waste time saying you don’t have a credit card.
           Or the guy who gets his wife to call. We can hear you breathing. Yes, you got a free cruise. But that is it. If you want to spend $260 on a hotel room between the plane and boat schedules, go ahead. Because you get to do that all over again when the cruise returns. You’ll also truly enjoy walking in the Florida sunshine, since the only people who rely on taxis and busses in this town are those who’ve never relied on them before.
           You have a cousin in Tampa? Great, he wants to drop you off in Ft. Lauderdale and you can use the two ten-hour round trips to get re-acquainted some. Sure, he’d love to take a few days off and be your tour-guide. No, the coupon is not for a free cruise, because the cruise is already free. The coupon gives you a huge discount on the walls and wheels you’ll need to enjoy the cruise, and hopefully remain friends with your cousin. Be sure to invite him to stay with you the very next time he vacations in Lusk, Wyoming.
           Canada uses an identical credit card system. I’m also being reminded of the national culture of Canada, which I have not dealt with in years. The bottom line is Canadians believe as long as they are artificially polite about everything, you have to do things their way. In one of my semi-famous quotes, “Canadians tend to think if they are right and you are wrong, it somehow changes anything.”
           Cheer up, I like the work. It lets me spend my days in the shop, where today I managed to hack a sequence on Craigslist. If I didn’t mention, my ads for Jimbo’s have been flagged and the gang have all reported to me that it is a group called “King Jupiter” who is responsible. I cannot be sure but it is a fact King Jupiter’s ads are the only ones not being flagged. The hack is that I can now disable the flag feature.
           That is correct, my posts cannot be flagged except by someone with fairly advanced programming skills. I decline to say, but it is purely clever and probably too complicated for anyone around here to defeat. I’ll make you a deal. If anyone figures out how it is done the first three days, I’ll tell you. Longer than that, no deal. I’ve also noted that Craigslist left a back door open when it comes to Javascript. (For those who keep asking, it is impossible to trace flaggers simply because there is nothing to be traced – the flags don’t work on that principle.) But I might be able to pull a nasty on those who flag my ads in the near future.
           I don’t need to know who they are, just that they are really stupid. Put it this way. I was the guy who created that “All commands on this page have been disabled” fake post that caused every loser in this town to shit his own pants until enough of them figured out it how to get around it. Took the whole lot of them genius-boys over six hours to reverse what took me ten minutes to program. Yet some of them seem to be right back being jerks. Possibly they think I can’t sting them again, but they forget that is what hackers do. I don’t need a good reason to trip up people who get in my way. Ask the Hippie what I think of dumb people and their petty issues.
           I would say the intellectual accomplishment of the day is that I’ve discovered it is Javascript that creates and manipulates cookies. I further find it strange that in the dozen html manuals I’ve read (and these are 300 page tomes) that none of them mentioned the connection between cookies and Javascript. That’ll be another $100 please.
           As far as the anti-flagging trick, it is raw genius and child’s play to anyone who can think out of the box. That is also a clue. For the clueless. Another clue is that it works in two stages, which is only slightly over one stage beyond what most Floridians can handle.