Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

March 19, 2008


           There is only one March 19, 2008 and you just knew if you stuck around long enough, something would happen. Wallace has been in touch. It would be smug of me to point out that I don’t have any problems with money-hungry acquaintances, so I won’t say anything about that. Hell no, my relatives stole all my money before I was 16. Take a gander at this "triple-wide". The land is zoned single-family, so it is relatively safe from condo poaching.
           I glanced at it, but don’t be fooled. It is a few blocks north of here and the pad rental is a mere $27 more than I already pay. It seems shabby but you are not looking closely enough. It is a double-wide and a prefab Florida room onto one lot. I doubt one could get away with that today [because of zoning restrictions]. All are resting on a concrete pad which you can see painted red where the front steps begin.

           It has several entrances, a patio and must have at least two bedrooms. If it is a matching set, it is a weird design. Anyway, I’m appointed to take a look tomorrow morning. I don’t care as much the price as about the monthly cost of occupancy. If there are, in fact, three bedrooms, my guess is it will cost $300,000 less than a house [in this area], and I will gladly tie up more fixed capital as a trade for less monthly maintenance.
           Keep focused that this property is in the pleasant area of French-Canadiens as is the existing trailer. This turned out, now that I have experience, to be nearly a miracle. Not because they are nice [hardly], but because they don’t dare step out of line. I have already cleared all this with Empress Pudding-Tat I, that due to budget cut-backs she will be required to patrol a larger perimeter for the same quantity of food pellets. I won’t tell you where I learned this manner of thinking because the phone company wouldn’t like that.

           It was another successful day at work. Afterward, mistakenly thinking that Jake’s pub had a Blues jam tonight, I walked in to find a familiar Karaoke group. The night was young. Take it at face value, but I won a t-shirt for being the best vocalist. Slate that as somewhat of a first.
           Here is an interesting thought. If witchcraft is real, why are there still tax collectors?

           [Author's note 2017: I believe this is the first mention and picture of Wally's Folly. This is the place, that if he had kept his word, he would right now be living in paradise for free and collecting a thousand a month rent off this place. But, he had some screwball impression his family came ahead of his promises, and in the end his family are a bunch of greedy jackpine savages. Real estate will never collapse here again in his lifetime, and even if it did, he doesn't know anybody except me with the brains to find the best way to take advantage of it. If he had done what he said, his net worth by now would be around $103,000--and that's healthy US dollars.]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++