Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, March 24, 2008

March 24, 2008

           It is a concrete slab made to look like diamond. Purists will notice the crown and bezel are the wrong shape. In theory it welcomes drivers to the City of Hollywood. In practice, it can only be seen by drivers leaving town. Another triumph of Florida brainwork. The concrete would be better employed filling the potholes of Dixie Highway shown in the background.
           I collected paycheck number one from the new job. It is pure commission and I’ve noticed that has the peculiar effect of making the people who work there somewhat more free with their money than you get from workers who are paid a flat rate per hour. This job will definitely do until something better comes along. I’ve also noticed that the further west the sun goes, the more likely the callers are to just hang up on you at the first hint of a sales pitch. Can’t say I blame them.
           Once again, I met the sales quota and have already noted my weak areas. I have trouble asking for money between $100 and $800. Any other amount I can get. For this range, I seem to need a second voice on the phone to do the close. It would appear that my performance is enough to always have someone there to do the closing for me. For some reason, and this should not be analyzed, people hang up when I ask them for money exactly the same way I always have. Who knows?
           What is certain is that Wallace called today and is interested in the new trailer, dubbed “Wally World”. It would be wrong to consider this any kind of spontaneous purchase. Wallace has mentioned the possibility of living in Florida for years and this is an excellent chance to do that well within budget. Also, Wallace and I have shared a place long term before out on the west coast and we have many common interests. This adventure is more like the next predictable event in a series.
           Get this. Wallace reports a decent place back west will set him back $1,300 per month. Ouch! That eats up a lot of cash really fast just for a roof and four walls. A place here, with everything needed and plenty to do every day costs less than a quarter that amount. I haven’t yet told him the new place has a dishwasher.
           Some zero lady was in the shop today trying to sell us an MLM scheme. What a laugh that was. I mention her because these people are getting a little too pushy for me. First she asks me if I want to make $20,000 per month. Judging by the way she was dressed, I should have asked her when she last made that much per year. Anyway, she denied it was MLM but then said I would have to “recruit” people. Something to do with hits on a web site. I mumbled that lawyers don’t make $20 grand a month. Instead of saying she had proof otherwise, she asked if I was a lawyer. Trying to turn my own words back on me never works. No, but I’ve done income tax returns for them, lady.
           The point is, you see how she was pushy and dodging every question. Then, she tried to get all of us to sign up in support of something, which involved giving her basically enough information to do a credit check. At that point I discovered I had an emergency call coming in and had to cut her off. That was clever, mind you, asking me if I was a lawyer as a comeback to what I said. I would appreciate the tactic even more if she had come up with it on her own.
           You get the short report today, since I needed an extra hour to go over the new paycheck. They have a complicated pay schedule. I see now that it is well-designed to keep people going along. I usually make enough each day to survive so the whole enchilada goes into the bank on payday. Best part of the job is I work just 28 hours per week, more only if I want. That’s fair. Without saying too much, I made over $200 more per week than I required, which was a very rare event back when I had a steady paycheck. That is correct, I was worse off when I worked a full week at my former career. I believe I once asked already, but did you know medieval peasants only worked a 20 hour week?
           I did respond to an ad today for someone to proofread internal memos for a hedge fund management company. They are just asking for too much in this part of the globe, but clearly they need a writer, or at least someone who can keep reports consistent over a large segment of their operations. I would not have come forward, but what they described was rare enough to fit my qualifications to a tee. It is not the kind of position for anyone who cannot express ideas in perfect English. There’s a lot of them out there.