Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, April 12, 2008

April 12, 2008


           It’s being marketed as a “personal microwave”. A few people were curious what you could buy for an earlier mentioned twelve payments of $4.95. You could get yourself a tiny, er, I mean, personal microwave. It is just big enough for your personal coffee or your personal pizza slice, although that’s going beyond personal into downright cozy.
           I said to myself, there has to be a reason nobody pickles celery. I had the ingredients ready and soon I’ll find out why. I have time to think about such things because of a missing password. I’m currently scanning my entire system for instances of the word “razor”. Months ago I helped this dude set up his equipment, including an excellent brand new iMac. Today, nobody remembered the administrator password. And while I’m at it, what is with those people who cut canned carrots into little squares? Carrots are round.

           Taking the day off, I went in to the shop and Fred had received a package from Germany. An entire loaf of home made Christmas bread, what you might recognize as a dry pound cake. I found it to be traditional, while some would say the dryness is because they don’t put butter into the batter. The consensus is that if Fred doesn’t care for it, Wallace and I will take over. Of course traditional recipes sometimes fall short of modern tastes. The joke I made years ago that Starbuck’s needed a flavor called “Denny’s” is more than prediction.
           Some flavoring companies have had to abandon realistic flavors such as strawberry and banana. Americans can’t tell the true taste any more, or prefer the artificial. Any parallels with Pudding-Tat and those crunchie-wunchie pellets she prefers is coincidence. I have no doubt if one day she came across the carcass of one of them there “Wilderbeasts”, Nature would plain take over, shucks and why not?
           Speaking of artificial, everyone knows about drug-sniffing dogs. But did you know that they are trained on artificial scents? The reason is that training them on the real thing results in an even higher addiction rate than humans, and the dogs cannot be treated by withdrawal. There’s more. The human addiction rate is 12%. The dog addiction rate is extremely classified by the government. My guess is 35% or they would not be so touchy about the facts.

           Here is a programming challenge. Using all the letter pieces on a Scrabble board, make the most compact diamond shape possible around the center square, which can optionally be left blank. Highest score is least number of other blanks. That should be at least as complicated as computer chess, I think. What? You need a better explanation? Sure. The goal is to make as compact a diamond shape of real words on a Scrabble playing board. (I’d thought of square-shaped but that seems too difficult even for a computer. I call it the “BSO” challenge, for Broward Sheriff’s Office. The best Scrabble player I know perfected his skills at their expense. Shall we say.)
           You know how police detectives fancy themselves so clever listening to background sounds on tape recordings and phone calls? I’ve got one for them. You know how most trains blow the whistle a couple of times near a crossing? Where are you when they blow it continuously as they roar through town? Easy. South Florida. I caught the southbound y’day and got the whole trip from Sheridan on MP3. My favorite “background” recording is the creaking office chair.

           Another question for you. What is the name of that annoying technique where the salesman unbundles the product, so unless you know how things have been done, he can always jack you up to the same price? Like the new car. If you pay full price you drive it away. If you negotiate a lower price, well then you still have to add on the “shipping charge”, the “dealer prep fee” and so on. This must have a name other than what it is called, if you follow my logic on that one.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++