Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, May 12, 2008

May 12, 2008

           Here’s a photo called “The Streets of Hallandale”, with apologies to James Garner. This is looking at sunrise (or as a 1990+ journalism grad would have put it, “eastward into the early morning twilight at dawn”), I’ve decided I’ll send this photo to any French-Canadiens that gave me a correct email addresses. Some of them had those trailers on the right side nearly forty years. Did I mention, the buyers have already lost money? Yep, they paid $3.2 million for this property, now for sale for just under $2 million. Wait long enough and they can pay us to come back.
           Toshiba walks the plank today. For over a year we’ve had nothing but trouble making copies on one of my super computers at the shop. A Toshiba SD-M1912, but in each case, there was always another known copying problem that could explain away the problem, and besides, I could just switch over to another computer.
           This morning it would not play my beautifully hacked movie and I said that is it. I tested every component until I came up with the conclusion that a Toshiba DVD player does not play DVDs. I was able to confirm this—not by a warning sticker on the box, but from a few lines of text buried on their web pages. I tore into them in a nasty review. How dare they pull a stunt like that.
           Wait there’s more. Remember I told you I’d log any differences in my social behavior due to “daddy’s money”? Years ago I read Darwin who noted that wherever he traveled, some form of life had evolved to fill every niche in Nature. Well, it may not be groundbreaking news but I’ve noticed the same between societies. I am very keen to spot any type of change, and yes, I already have something to report. I’ve caught myself doing it several times already, and hope it has not become sub-conscious.
           Here it is: unearned income causes the recipient to breed the insane notion that it is no big deal for other people to help out. I have actually told people how easily they could stop what they are doing and do something for me! Things I always did for myself, like make my own photocopies. Worse, it is tempting to think they are lazy or uncooperative when they won’t drop everything. Do I detect a pattern here? Is getting an allowance the moral equivalent of becoming an insensitive lout? Is this definitive proof that the Hippie is still be getting money from his parents?
           Pent up inflation is a most inconvenient thing. You know how long I’ve wanted one of those car bicycle carriers. They’ve shot up in price from $135 to $240 (for the model I want), the one that slides into the trailer hitch but folds out of the way to open the rear door. Fortunately, it seems Mike may have one he isn’t using. Unfortunately, it is in a storage bin that he is behind on payments. Storage is a rip-off. You are smarter to buy one of those garden sheds and a security camera. The major idiocy of storage is they know you will put junk in there with your valuables, think it through.
           The cell phone lady called, saying that she has met up with Arturo and they will be working together. Her nickname is Peggy, so you’ll know who I mean. She is indeed a professional cook and is okay with the idea of teaching me to cook large birds. Says it is quite easy. Hmm, what would constitute difficult? I’m glad they get along. Myself, I think Arturo is the type that could not fill your gas tank unless he first knew where you were going, at what speed, and how much you paid for the car. (This is serious, it prevented us from doing business on several occasions. Arturo would make the loans officer from sheer living hell. If the position has not already been taken by a divorcee from Pompano Beach.)
           No word from Wallace on the Alaska cruise. He is probably standing right next to a good-looking gal right now, admiring the glaciers and fjord. Isn’t it curious, from Alaska to Florida in two weeks. These are amazing times.