Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

May 21, 2008


           Pudding-Tat dominates the day. No, she did not take too well to all the events, including her longest car ride. She was an early favorite of the staff who seem to appreciate novel pet names. They kept her for just over eight hours and the anesthetics are still showing every side effect. She is very badly disoriented. The post op instructions say to keep the cat clean and dry for a week. If Pudding-Tat decides otherwise, how does one accomplish that?
           No word from Wallace, meaning he may be on the road. I was in the shop most of the day, nothing else to do really. Don’t worry, I will fill the gap soon, for I planned on retirement, not inactivity. It is just that I have no short-term projects left.

           [Author's note 2016-05-24: the lack of short-term projects became a far more important part of the planning than I ever thought. I retired formally in October of 2010 and realized what a wasteland of nothingness most men are headed for in their old age. After a certain age, it is really useless to take up hobbies more complicated than stamp-collecting, because you need a lifetime of useful activity to back up anything meaningful. If you turn even 40 without that, what are you going to do? Try to catch up? Good luck.
           I am familiar with the process. My own brothers hit that barrier by their teens. They already had ten years of lost study time by watching television. Hey, I tried to warn them. At the other extreme, I was able to take up electronics and celestial navigation just for amusement. And turned my retirement into the most productive era of my life by 2011.]


           One thing I found was that Free Credit dot com jingle on Limewire. And it is a total fake full of viruses. The number of sites shows it is a very popular tune. I wonder how many people got stung. There are actually two jingles, one about the pirate in the t-shirt and the other about a guy who lives in a basement suite. Stay away from both, they are loaded with Trojans and root viruses.
           I was after music for Johnny D. Part of my hurdle is while I know the first few lyrics, I don’t always know the song title. That, and most jazz-based guitar music sounds the same to me. When I was in my mid-teens I saw a demonstration, a guitarist who was explaining jazz chord substitutions. He played things both ways to demonstrate that it takes real talent to sustain listener interest on a single chord, and that was why so many guitarists resort to jazz as a substitute. The party mentioned was Knoppfler(?), who guitarists think is the greatest but others, such as myself, just don’t get it.

           This memory came about over one of Johnny’s tunes, “The Boxer”. It is a great song but it shows what can happen when those chords get away on you. To play it right, there is a slightly different progression in nearly every verse. I also priced out houses in Texas, man I had a lot of free time today. Who would spend $200,000 to live in Sherman? I am keeping an eye out for a real bargain, assuming there will be one there within the next 20 years. Eight years ago I decided against a cabin on three acres right on the banks of the North Wichita. Had a wood stove, too.
           Pudding is woozy and wobbly, so I put her in the room with the best air conditioner and left her alone. Cat drugs must be powerful junk. The mobile clinic (called MASH) said the procedure was painless. Tell that to the cat. When returned, there was a long list of things checked not to do, like shots and such. I didn’t know about that, I thought that was for dogs. Shows you what I know.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++