Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, May 23, 2008

May 23, 2008


           This is a used bicycle for sale for $3,800. I decided not to take it for a test run in case I liked the thing. I’m still unclear on who has any practical use for such a device. You would be constantly worried about theft and I saw no advantages to operational capabilities and if there are any they must be minor and obscure. Cyclonic gear ratios or instinction drive or something. I off to JZs tomorrow to see if he’s repaired his Jamus yet.
           A dude came in today with a set of software that emulates a cable Internet account. The directions are forty pages long, but since when did that stop me? This sounds like an incredible challenge, testing the cable system for security leaks. I’m just the person for the job. Especially on long rainy evenings like this, just me and the cat. She is finally moving around again and crawling into bed. She no longer patrols the place hourly looking for a way out.

           Where is Wallace? The transcontinental mystery continues. Saskabush? Manitoga? I heard gas in Canada was $6.00 a gallon. Shopping in Canada can be a hit and miss operation because the government subsidizes so may industries that a simple price bump can throw everything out of whack. You have to ask, how could subsidized gas cost $6.00 per gallon?
           Who remembers Ridiculist? When Web TV was around, it was a popular game played on an ordinary chat line. A category would appear and each team has 90 seconds to type in as many answers as possible. If any match the database, the team gets a point. I found it on talk city, a big chat room. The categories can get as dumb as the contestants but it is still a riot for speed typists. There are ten correct answers each round and there are times when I’ve got eight of them myself.

           Give it a try, just don’t expect to win much at first. I won’t give my handle because trust me, you’ll know when I enter the room. Although a lot of the questions are sports related, nobody really plays those rounds. When asked for players names, the answers can get downright nasty. Let’s see, most unpopular categories sure to bring out the worst would be: States in India, music before 1970 and anything to do with medieval themed computer games. You can submit questions but be sure to slow things down. My recent categories include names of fighter aircraft, photography terms and bicycle parts.
           Happy times are here again. I didn’t just blab about food prices going up, I invested in rice futures [back in 2005]. I wish I’d put a few thousand in there because I just made twelve times my money back. The check arrived today. That will make moving a breeze and even if Wallace arrives before Monday, we can now take it easy and I’ll move in at a leisurely pace. He knows his way around here so he can keep busy. Tomorrow I get some new music gear which will include a few surprises. Now, how much did I say that fancy shower cost?

           While on that point, it is now becoming certain that Wallace and I scored a major victory with the new place. Not only has the market collapsed, the real estate turnover rate was high enough that most people who will not lose their property outright will be facing tax assessments based on the largest selling price. Ouch. I have never seen property taxes go down. This still means houses are going for $200,000 which is crazy for wage earners. This seems to be the base price all over the nation for places that are desirable to live. (That leaves out Iowa.)
           I check Texas prices given the time and they are also at the $200,000 mark. This is an interesting study in economics. If you reach back into time with the purchasing power of the dollar, houses actually cost slightly less than they did a hundred years ago. There is a happy medium between house prices and the cost of occupancy. Wallace and I may be living well and comfortable beyond anything we expected just months ago. I was hasty about the new area being abandoned on that count, for it looks like far more of the places are now rented out for the summer. Wouldn’t that be something if we suddenly found ourselves in a prime location? The way things have already gone, that might not be far-fetched.
           Next, food that comes with no directions on how to prepare it. That could mean a potato, but I’m referring to things like corn meal and an item I have not had in years, buckwheat. I finally decided to treat it like porridge or grits and wound up with a palatable dish tonight. You boil it and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and butter. Now that it turns out I could have eaten all the bacon and eggs I wanted [all these years], I’ve long lost my appetite for such things. Pudding-Tat is naturally skinny and is consuming about four times as much water as before the operation. She still hides under my bed a lot but this now appears to be a possible post-op aversion to light.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++