Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

May 28, 2008

           Look at the nice shiny pavement. Look again, that is water. Read on to find out more, but you may also notice that beautiful utility trailer that everybody wants to buy for $40. More like $400, folks. That trailer has saved my bacon more than once and it’s here to stay. Now where can I keep it? Every square inch of this property is house or garden.
           That crazy lady is on the warpath again. Accusing Fred of destroying her computer and her life. The problem turns out to be the old monitor she insists on using will not hold the resolution. She is convinced we are a conspiracy. Interestingly, although I have no conscious recollection of this woman, the guys say I’ve told her off, hung up on her and kicked her out of the store before. Must be one hellacious battle-axe whoever she is. But if she can consistently piss me off, that tells you right there.
           After taking a few extra measurements and pricing materials, here is a project I’d like to clear with Wallace. If I move one partition back two feet, we would have ourselves a three bedroom house over here. That is over-simplification, in that to move that wall, a door would have to be relocated and a set of stairs built. In all, a few days work. I see somebody else once tried but they didn’t know what they were doing. Other emerging facts are the layout of this place makes it hard to get a natural crosscurrent happening. The Florida room needs better insulating. The air conditioning is barely strong enough to keep the whole place cool, except the bedrooms which can get too cold at night.
           Pudding-Tat is history. It has been three days and no sign of her. Unless she had instincts I’ve never heard of, that is pretty much all there is to it in this town. That tailless black cat that hung around has found his way over here and has been raiding her food dish. The heat index is well into the hundreds and I’m not optimistic. I got some early morning work done but it was time to head indoors by10:00 A.M. Mila is gone all day and smokes cigarettes out on the patio in the evening. I’ll set up a microwave for her.
           Several people have gotten their economic stimulus checks already. I think I’ll spend mine on new band equipment. Stimulate the opposite sex and make gigs a little easier on my health. I think I’ll drive over to Home Depot this evening and pick up a few tools I’ve always wanted. And some speaker wire – didn’t I tell you I’m finally hooking up that six-way home theater system JP could never figure out.
           Four hours later. Okay, where were we? Oh yeah, I was going shopping but I never made it. Mila and her two friends moved in a massive bed. What is it with women and monster beds? Well, then I got to moving things and before long I had moved another two loads of gear. As of now, the only time dining out on the patio has occurred is that cat with no tail. There was a downpour and Mila and I have christened Lake Florida, or La Laguna. The water pools a good four inches deep (and six feet wide) right in front of our main doorway. Six feet means you have to step in water to get out of the car where you have to park. Oh well, can’t have everything. Everything else seems to be in excellent working condition.
           Speaking of Mila, she is not really clear on how much Spanish I can follow. She loves this place and her friends told her she was lucky to find it. There is no doubt now that the third room is a priority, for this situation may occur again and it would kind of nice to be ready. I talked with Eric and he keeps mentioning “Teresa” who looked after this place, so I take that to mean Marisa’s daughter. She used to water the “garden” by hand. The garden is ten to twelve foot trees, ferns and huge shrubs. I hope Wallace likes yard work. Plus, we are as far from the garbage bins as you can get in this place, a quarter mile hike there and back.
           I’m removing the drapes from the old place and fitting them over the entire length of windows in the new Florida room. That area is not air-conditioned and has to become so. The jalousie windows admit light but the views are of the trailer next door, so I’m blocking it off with thick insulating drapes and making a practice area for my music. The kitchen sink taps also got to go. They are that weird single lever type that I never liked. Then the kitchen light. The switch is fifteen feet away around the corner. Wait, there’s more. I’m sitting on the front stoop watching the water flow past and what do I see? Eleven dollars floating along. Nobody up and down the lane so that was finder’s keeper’s. A ten and a one.
How was your day?
           Just past midnight. Wondrous news. Pudding-Tat has returned. I don’t know how much detail I gave you, but when I first rescued the cat from Steve’s place, she had learned to hide underneath the fridge. It makes sense now that she retreated in there. I would not have thought she’d go four days without food, but she has done that before also. What brought her out was the litter box. She still doesn’t trust me. I wonder why?