Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, May 9, 2008

May 9, 2008


           I think it is a telephone pole. Or in this instance, and electrical pole. I always thought those things were hollow. Anyway, in the absence of anything relevant, the rule is you get the most interesting picture and today this is it. This scene was on the way back from a ten mile bike ride. This may seem a contradiction, but it is true. I could not walk ten miles very easily.
           If one more person offers to buy my utility trailer, I’m going to paint a sign that it is not for sale. It attracts riff-raff and gives the nearly as bad an excuse to be poking around. For instance, when I got home today, these two geezers are in Roland’s car port. I asked them what they wanted and they asked if anybody lived there. I said nobody was home. They said, “So nobody lives there”.

           I told them, “I said nobody was home.” You get very suspicious of this type of Florida zeros. Speaking of that, somebody says the Hippie is advertising again, under the same old “Po’ Boys” that he has been starting up for, what, twenty years now? Doesn’t matter, it won’t last. But I did run into a guitarist, at of all places Office Depot. He’s been playing five months and “knows about 200 chords”. He looks just as geeky as the last one but this guy hasn’t played long enough to become a lunatic.
           The Audacity voice removal [technique] does not work. While it removes the majority of the vocals, it also degrades the remainder of the tracks to making it unsuitable for stage work. There is no magic to the process, it is based on the principle that vocals are the mid-range of most popular music. By inverting one track, on average the mid-range cancels itself out. Sadly, the tunes I play are among the worst candidates for that process.

           By placing Pudding-Tat’s food inside the pet carrier borrowed from Fred, I’ve got her to voluntarily get inside the basket. She is leery of it. But that might be because it has been inhabited by dogs, a life form she knows nothing about. Today’s trivia is buried in this paragraph to make sure if you get it, you had to read about the cat first. You know you love that cat. Anyway, new ocean liners don’t have a propeller and rudder system, which only operates when the ship is moving. Instead, they have an “azipod”, which is similar in principle to an outboard motor. The shaft is vertical and can rotate the propeller 360 degrees, providing thrust in any (horizontal) direction. This makes the ships self-berthing (in combination with other new features).
           The size of these ships is nearing a quarter-million tons, so get ready for a true disaster any time. With 5,000+ people on board, rogue waves no longer figments, and drafts of less than thirty feet, somebody is begging for trouble. Oh, and the difference between a liner and a cruise ship is that liners carry other cargo than people, such as freight and mail. And lately, a lot of grade B movie actors.

           I played a four hour gig tonight (and I am far more exhausted than I should be). The guitar player showed, but without his guitar and he left before he heard me really get fired up. He appeared to have been drinking heavily. There was a Canadian gal in the audience and I chatted her up. Turns out she knows the barmaid and they are first cousins of Celine Dione. Whom they say used a lot of family money to get famous but then instantly became a snob and won’t speak to the family. Omigosh, what a total surprise, eh? Most people I know who put up with their families do so actually because they never became rich or famous.
           Harpman Garry went into Guitar Center to get a new set of strings and walked out with a new guitar. I made sure to give him a complete CD of all the tunes I play. He already had a perfectly good guitar. I looked up this Taylor Dane, and she seems to be a middle-aged English housewife with a few hits, nothing spectacular. Each video shows she had a different band and she obviously has a large budget for getting her hair crimped. Her eyes are the exact same color as mine.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++