Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, June 5, 2008

June 5, 2008

           See how this sapling has grown through the trellis material? This was years in the making and I’m going to cut it away soon. The tree is already standing ten feet high and there are several places where this has occurred all along the garden What? Okay, you tree-huggers. What I meant is I’m going to cut the trellis, okay? (Then I’m going to cut down the stupid tree.) I’ve also found I can water the garden after any of the frequent summer rains and nobody notices.
           That third bedroom is going to be a matter of pure economics. Is it going to be cheaper to operate it than rent it? So far everything is fine, at least with Pudding-Tat and me but we stay near the A/C in the living room. The media says this is a heat wave and they got that part right. Nobody says global warning has to be evenly distributed. Since the Florida room just mentioned is the only spot I’m keeping tabs on, I can’t report much more than there is a ten degree difference between night and day.
           Things of note. The air conditioner box I left momentarily at the old place is stolen. I turned the pictures in to the office, it is a black truck with the word “Recycle” stenciled on the side. Sure, there is a buck to be made scrounging in Florida, but my door had a clear no trespassing sign. They also got my hand-truck, the one with both flat tires that I could not give away. I left it there because it has always been nothing but a piece of junk.
           Mind you, this brought on a Florida style scam sequence that I’m inured to. When I began asking around for a new air conditioner box, every place I asked first pretended not to know what I meant. Then they tried to convince me such things were hard to come by. Then it was custom order time if I could put down a $200 deposit. To this day, I have no idea what causes grown people in Florida to constantly attempt these low-level swindles other than that they must occasionally get away with it.
           It required nearly two hours to purchase lumber today, most of it in the store checkout line. It was just not all that big a day, event-wise. Hold on, there was an incident. Around 6:00 P.M. the Hippie called with a paying gig. I don’t turn down those in Florida, so we’re scheduled for late next Tuesday at some place called Donovan’s out on State Road 7. (13040 NW 7th. 786-514-1667.) I advised the Hippie to send me a current song list, for he still assumes non-guitarists can follow what he does.
           Later, I went through my entire system and I do not have a single computerized copy of the song list just mentioned. Fortunately, I kept a loose-leaf binder on the back shelf that survived the moves (seven moves in eight years). For me that is the equivalent of finding them carved on petroglyphs or painted on the cave wall. Several of the sheets have scanning datestamps of 2005 and 2006 but are from earlier material circa 2001. I’ll see what I can piece together. I never did learn Hotel California. Then again, I do my shopping list on a spreadsheet.
           Sad news. Ron, the Karaoke guy I mentioned recently, was due in the hospital. I have no specifics but it turns out he is in a far worse way. He is recovering and will be out of commission for a long time. The rumor is a nasty cancer. He had the first Karaoke show where I ever got up and sang a solo tune.
           I happened to leave my compass open on the desk and for some reason, it is showing the north-south streets of this town have an inclination of slightly over 10 degrees west. That seems too much and maps show the streets as surveyed true north. Remind me to look that up.