Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 5, 2008


           This is what a late model Malibu looks like, parked in front of the new digs. The car is computer everything and gets great mileage. I drive it around and I am impressed although it has the feel of a light duty car. Yes, Wallace has arrived, but that was later in the day, so first some chronological events.
           Another overcast day means another long bike trip. I was in the shop when Cowboy Mike arrived, he is in the market for a canoe. I know zilch about the boat except that it is one of the most dangerous. From what he described, it is a craft for shallow water near the shoreline. If it tips over, there is no way to get back in. You have to make it to shore and step into it from above. That’s a history lesson that even the Indians had their equivalent of MicroSoft engineers.

           These canoes come in different materials that mimic the wooden models (engineers again) and the ones Mike likes run to $1,500. That’s around ten times what I thought they were worth. He mentioned that Bass Pro Shop I often pass on I-95. Upon looking it up on-line, I see that it is a huge showroom with a massive aquarium and tons of hurricane gear. Plus a museum. This could rival Disneyworld, so I will wait until Wallace arrives. Still no word but everyone underestimates driving through Florida.
           I reviewed the gig assessment from y’day in case the wording was too strong, but it is a very accurate description of the situation. There may also be a new Jimbo’s classic, that Dwight Yoakum song “Turn it On, Turn it Up, Turn Me Loose” (I think is the title.) I was surprised how much people read into that song, so I’ve customized a bass line to make it sound “more like the original”. The Hippie, incidentally, doubts this process but that could be because he has never sat down even once and actually listened to me play anything. He’s got it confused with playing the Zydeco version, I think.

           It is going to be a wrestling match with the cat. Upon close examination of the precautions taken, the flea collar only interrupts the 14 day life cycle of larvae. The shoulder drops dislodge eggs. Neither of these kill adult insects. I’m saying the cat has a chance to get re-infested with adult bugs each time she is outside. I have spray mist which must be applied directly to the cat. Wrestling match. I’ll catch her at feeding time. If this is not the answer, then I think this cat scratches out of boredom or instinct. A little harder to explain is why she runs into glass doors, duh. It makes this neat “ker-bonk” sound. The look she has afterwards is priceless, kind of like my brother when he can’t find anybody to annoy.
           There is a Harry Potter festival on Pudding-vision. I’ve decided to write a chapter in case they run short. It goes like this.

           “Here they come! Get us out of here!”
           “I can’t! The [invisibility lever/flying wing/accelerator button/wind generator] is jammed.”

           Around 11:00 P.M. I finally hear a knock on the door and a familiar voice. Wallace has arrived. They did the final 13 hours from Georgia in one stretch. He’s got his little red Malibu which looks brand new. The biggest surprise is Millie, who is not the tiny lapdog I, for some reason, thought was around the size of my cat. She is a large dog, in fact quite large. The family trundled off to a hotel and shortly afterward, Wallace and I dropped in to say hello at his old stomping ground, the Friendly Inn.
           The family wants to see alligators, the Everglades and some beach sand. We’ll get them underway, as Wallace and I have a lot of catching up to take care of. Then again, if they want me as tour guide I’m up for a trip out to see some real civilization. Priority are getting him a phone and quelling the rumors that this trailer park is coming down. We noted that the old park is installing a chain link fence around the perimeter. With thousands of unsold condos on the market, the fence is likely to discourage squatters.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++