Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, August 9, 2008

August 9, 2008


           Here is a scene of typical afternoon summer in Florida. The downpours don’t last but you still get soaked. It is a thin layer of dark cloud pouring buckets and right above that the sun is shining so brightly you get this type of sky. This interesting picture also depicts another local oddity—sidewalk and intersection clutter. They love to put lampposts, signs, you name it right in the middle of sidewalks, leaving too narrow a passage to get through two abreast, or ride a bicycle.
           We begin with success and good news, not a bad combination. It took several hours but I have the software system in place and will give you the promised critique. The good news is Wallace cracked the code on the built in microwave. The east wall has an industrial strength unit that would have been large enough to hold that big bird that goes “gobble gobble” but I could not get it to work.
           So Wallace sat there patiently like a safecracker and tried every combination. Within 15 minutes he had the clock working. Then kazam! It seems it had some memory settings like A1 and A2. Once he cleared those the rest of the keypad began to function normally. Look out now, for I once successfully baked an apple pie in a microwave. We are now a four-microwave household.

           We promptly put together a meal entirely of leftovers. This had been the real goal, to produce home-cooked meals in larger quantities. Using Peggy’s gravy recipe and following the rule that moisture should be added to reheated meals, we had another feast this afternoon. The entire meal was home-made leftovers. This is a good sign. We concluded these are the good old days.
           Earlier I bench tested Café Manager Lite and already one of my customers squawked. That just tells me who has been cheating me. The only difference to the user is that they must start the timer themselves and inform the staff when they are finished. Yes, they can get sneaky and restart the timer on the computer, but not on the master control server I’ll be setting up on Monday. I am not interested in pleasing bad customers.

           Café Manager Lite passes the user test by only the narrowest of margins. The “security shield” is all or nothing, it cannot be set for the individual user. Boo. Any Windows screen saver that activates triggers a reset, which I do no like. So I set the timer for 20 minutes to match the minimum charge. That quirk shows a lack of foresight by Vibersoft. A major plan is to make the system easy to use when I am not there. The master shutdown switch does not work when the security shield is on. Other than that, it does the job and there is a printer option I have not tested. If it actually counts pages printed, I can put that feature back into business.
           Eric was over. His cat “Tom” was indeed not well and has confirmed diabetes. This means, I believe, daily treatment. It is quite a test for the pet owner. I have only seen the process a couple of times, that was Sharon’s cat, “Ginky”. The cat did not seem to be bothered at all by the syringe. She tried an expensive organic vitamin that mixed with the cat food, but in the end, the cat required intravenous. Oddly, the cat did not seem to notice the syringe at all.

           One of the reasons I do not go into the shop sometimes is because too many people do not recognize that I do many things on the computer besides just read email and just surf the Internet. A lot of it is complicated work that requires concentration and they will start to talk to me like I am not even busy. That, ahem, is why I want to finish the electrical work and move my desk out of the corner of the living room into the less comfortable and smaller work area I had planned on using to play music. I do not blame anyone for interrupting me, because it happens everywhere I go. Those who read escape literature often lack the common sense understand the different nature of involvement when they see someone proofreading a treatise on higher mathematics. You’d think they’d notice the other man’s book has a hard cover, but no.
           Wallace reports that he likes Flannigan’s. That is the restaurant on the corner of Dixie and Federal that is reputedly packed with sexy women except when I go there. I used to bike past there regularly from the old location and I would check in randomly every day of the week. Never could I figure out what the guys are talking about. Flannigan’s is always full of men and the few women there are with husbands, usually their own. I appreciate though, that to some males, merely seeing a place with women present, however unobtainable they may be, is enough.

           On the other hand, I very rarely pick up women by talking to them in public. It is considered tacky and I am embarrassed by listening to other men doing it, trying to pretend they care what her sign is. The only thing worse is the women who eat it up. Nobody has to tell me why the divorce rate is too high. Only three times in my life have I “failed” to score with a woman [I wanted] the same day we met. I am bemused by men who chat a woman over an extended period of time, wearing her down and themselves thin. To me that is like earning what you get by paying your dues in the most wasteful and inefficient way conceivable. You want to yell, “Damn it man, just give her the $50.” I see no proof that either method is superior, but I certainly save on the time and effort. That is, by not squandering resources constantly prospecting, I always have time to chat up my lady and take her to dinner after we have a relationship, instead of before. Other guys should try the method some time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++