Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 21, 2008

September 21, 2008

           Here is you-know-who beating the heat. You know how other cats will curl up to sleep? This one crashes out in whatever position she falls in. Note the unusual posture of her hind legs, but there she is, snoozing away. For some reason, she likes that torn piece of cardboard just behind her butt.
           I overheard that up to 90 people a day are now trying to climb Mount Everest. It must be nice to have such money and idle time while young. Then there is me, where staying inside the house for an entire day is so rare it is almost extinct. I puttered around the whole time. Wallace was the guy who did all the chasing around.
           What were the high points. Well, we had a huge pancake and sausage breakfast that put everybody back to sleep for several hours. I’m slowly getting the utility room sorted out so I can actually get work done in there. The cat is starting to foray into the living room with Millie-Belle just out of striking distance. If need be, I am sure she could hold her own against the dog.
           Arnel made a copy of a MIDI tune (Do-Wah-Diddy) to demonstrate the removal of the bass line in that format. Ha, I think it is a demo of how bass can change the entire feel of a song. I’ll spend a few hours on that tomorrow, if only to check how easy it is to find the music I already play. Nor am I that comfortable with operating a laptop computer on stage. We went over the details with Fred last day and decided Cakewalk is the best starting point for me.
           Shelves. You can never have enough shelves. I’ve put some big ones in the utility room. I finally have a place to store the less used articles around here. Once everything is put away properly, you will find this place is completely self-sufficient.
           Okay, at midnight tonight, I reach a musical anniversary. I’ve been playing in a band since I was 13, a lot of years. Come to think of it, I’m still playing some of the same music. I really would learn something more contemporary if I could find something distinctive. I listen to the top ten, of which there are a bewildering number of lists, and all the tunes sound alike. The Internet seems to have raised a bumper crop of wannabee recording artists.
           There are hundreds of thousands of bands on youTube, and they seem to have all taken the same drugs or something. They are a generation of recording technicians, not live performers. I agree rock was dying and got a jolt from the rock video. But that does not extend to making it a requirement that every band everywhere should have a weird and whacked out video. Nor would I be surprised to learn that “success” on the Internet is more dependent on thinking up a great or catcy name for your band.