Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 14, 2008

           The music room is not finished, but it is in operation. Standing just 30 feet away at the hallway entrance to Wallace’s room, it sounds like a faint radio. I’m back in business. The shelving cost me $16 and looks it. Entirely functional, it fell apart the first time we went to move it. But it’s alright now. Maybe I’ll get off my butt and put in the extra electrical outlets all this requires. Right now I’m using two extension cords. There is even a full-size refrigerator in here. And a microwave.
           Looking at the jpeg, I just realized there is not a single musical instrument in evidence. A few years from now this will likely be laughed at as a primitive setup. Yet you are looking at a 64 channel mixer, a terabyte of memory and over 5,600 individual pieces of music. Of that, I play 106. See the presence of fans every few feet and you are only looking at half the room.
           I used the patio as my work area. Millie-Belle must have been around construction before. She patiently sits in the shade and watches me work. Hey, I heard that, “Union construction.” The value of all this space is beginning to show itself. Depending on a couple things I am again looking at that partition in the spare bedroom. It is necessary if two people are to share that second bathroom. Right now, you have to walk through the bedroom but the partition creates a private hallway. The layout is actually very efficient and the second shower will make it a highly desirable rental.
           The music room is 8 x 10 feet, making it the largest private music room I’ve ever had in my life. It is crammed with recording and computer equipment, both audio and video. The good news is everything is now within reach and I don’t even have to get out of the chair to set things in motion. There is no air-conditioning, but three large fans keep it habitable at a fraction of the cost. We now have a spare room where my desk used to be, Wallace probably wants to put the dining table in there. I think so, because where it is, the late afternoon sun blasts anybody who sits near the patio door. Relocating the table will give us a huge living room.
           By huge, I mean 300 square feet. That’s 15 x 20 feet, plenty of space in case anyone still has any preconceived notions that we are living in a trailer. This is a triple wide mobile home and it is a truly sold structure. Every room except Wallace’s bedroom has two doors. This important feature means up to three people can live here and rare see each other. However, the parking is inadequate. Still, with another shower, that room can easily bring in $450 per month. Keep checking in. The cooler weather has me doing a lot more around the place.
           No word from Myra, so she settled in wherever she went. What a pity to let her go. It is hard enough to find women in Florida that aren’t gold-digging skritches in the first place, much less something nice like that with a job, too. Maybe I’ll try once more to get her back here, I don’t even mind if she brings her kids.
           The History Channel had a feature on 1990s technology, which of course was dominated by the Internet. The commentator stated that within three years (2011) the amount of information will be doubling every 11 hours. He did not say how long it would take for knowledge to do the same. I did find it revealing that most people who made money on the Internet were associated with post-secondary schools. They appear to simply have been aware of the need for things. I find that fascinating, and I totally like it when technology can shift such power away from industry. Before computers, you bought what the factory owner decided he was going to churn out. Pick up a Xmas catalogue from 1970 and you will see the schlock I’m referring to.