Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

November 26, 2008

           While on the boat last Sunday, I was not all that interested in who lived where, but I did listen to the commentary on the prices. Per the captain, they have fallen “dramastically”. Correct he is, as captains should be. The cheapest waterfront property (no swimming pool, two bedrooms one bath) can now be picked up for a measly $1.7 million. I do love the way they train their kids to greet the tour boats. “Look, Edgeworth, those are poor people. They think you are waving ‘Hello’”.
           This photo is not the cheap house. It is one of several with colonnades. Most of the places are large, but lower key. The property taxes average $230,000 per annum. One mansion had mirrored windows and the original contractor installed them the wrong way. The evening tour business shot up for a week. I don’t care for colonnades. I want to keep my money in a bank, not live in one.
           Before I forget, the tide was in and the water was ink black and curiously smooth. It is a rule that I mention anything unusual. It was a neap tide from what little I know of the sea, but remember, I studied physics. According to Newton, the pull of the moon is 2.25 times stronger than the sun. This causes 2 high tides a day, so this must have been the indirect tide, that is, the tide on the side of the Earth facing away from the moon, and in this instance, at right angles to the sun. So there.
           The video, “Gross Anatomy”. I watched it but can’t figure out if it is serious or a comedy. It never did pick up the pace. Another story about how tough it is to get through med school. Not tough enough judging by the number of quacks out there selling exercise equipment and endorsing diet foods. I like such movies because they represent such a contrast to my college circumstances. Maybe it is all the sissy-ass problems they have, like they have to invent things to worry about. They would not have lasted a week in my shoes. I essentially finished college wearing the same clothes I had when I was 14.
           They all seem to drive cars, have nice apartments and super haircuts. I’m probably the only man in existence who went through college without ever taking out a girl on a date. Couldn’t, had no money. Then again, going back to my dorm room had its distinct advantages over the conventional mating ritual. I should probably be thankful that I never learned to use money that way anyhow. My largest score for one semester was 23. All blonde or brunette, all white babes, all 18 or under. That is how it was done back then. If you were a winner, that is. Sure, I’ve got names. I scored the first hour I was on campus. Lorraine Brooks, studied social working. I believe I’ve described that encounter elsewhere. It took me an hour to catch on what she was telling me in the first five minutes.
           Overall, today cost me money. The car broke down just north of the Polk on 26th, near the Hollywood library. The one that won’t let you check out books unless you live there. Correctly guessing it was more than one thing wrong with the car, I had it towed to the Firestone. A lot of our clients work there. Sure enough, what I thought was a short was traced back to a loose battery lug, then a battery that was sluggish, and finally to the alternator. It was only putting out 10.7 volts, and I had been previously warned about using a light duty battery on that car. I’ll replace it; this diagnostic cost me $133 including towing and tips. To finally nail down the problem, it was worth it.
           I’ve asked my doctors (four of them) to release medical records. Let me tell you, it is frightening, some of the policies these people have. It is like they are held hostage by insurance companies to the extent that you really don’t have any privacy. If any insurance company or government agency wants your medical history, there is no such thing as confidentiality. And the amount of non-medical information on those records is phenomenal. When you break an arm, I don’t think it matters what your Zip code is, but you won’t get treatment in this town without one. My policy is to tell my age, but not my birthdate. Even though I pay cash, this drives their billing departments crazy. Just so you know.