Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

November 4, 2008

           We managed by trial and error to get some footage of Agent 86.5 scaling a “brick” wall several hundred feet off the ground. Hey, not bad athletics at any age. Good action, there. Wallace reports once seeing a car chase filmed where the vehicle was actually resting on the flatbed of a speeding truck. That would be more realistic than the fan work I use, but it is also far beyond our budget.
           In an unexplained pattern, I have now discovered several companies that have booklet publishing software. The fact that the same process occurred for both the cafĂ© manager software and the booklet software, nearly back-to-back searches for me, are convincing proof that similar difficulties in the past were more than coincidence. Therefore I will define this search process in case I’ve got something new.
           a)Very few or misleading results using every reasonable combination of search criteria finally causing a resort to indirect searching.
           b) Most results indicate the goal exists, but must be purchased as an expensive or customized package.
           c) Multiple dead-end searches where the results are clearly designed to not link to similar products.
           d) Unfamiliar keywords enough removed from the true product name to make the search repeatedly fail.
           e) All searches cluttered with unrelated results but once one product is found, all others are easy to locate.

           Some parts of it make sense, for example, the Americans dominate the web pages. They are motivated to sell, not to inform, and this has bastardized the Internet out of all recognition. But it also means the salespeople are themselves quite ignorant of basic realities. By going fanatic to be “on top”, they are diminishing their odds of even being found.
           Of course, I’m referring to the booklet software, but I mean in general also. The obvious search on “booklet software” never did work. Yet, if I was selling the printer driver that allowed such an operation, I would plaster the metas with that exact phrase. Instead, I got hundreds of dead ends. One annoying subset of returns are the sites that require a “membership”. Exclusive clubs should get their own Internet.
           Years ago I objected to Amazon (yes, yes, I know they are rich but that is not my point here). When I search, I want the actual information, not a book about it—in fact, the very reason I used the Internet was to avoid the greasy sales pitch. Now Amazon has buddies, all the low-life colleges who churn out useless degrees. No matter what reason you contact them, they turn the contact into a high-pressure sales encounter. They must use every inquiry to pump enough information out of you to do a credit check. I’m informed a lot of people don’t know the primary reason for this. I will tell you.
           It is because the college counselor gets an immediate commission if he can talk you into a student loan. If you didn’t know that, time to get informed. It has nothing to do with what knowledge or education you require, as you would expect from an honest counselor. It is cutthroat sales, pure and simple, and you are the next sucker. Every advertisement, every brochure, every calendar is just a come-on primarily to get your credit information. It’s a pity.