Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, December 11, 2008

December 11, 2008

           Millie-Belle is all bundled up for the trip to the land of ice and snow. That’s Wallace clamping down the lid. We got up plenty early (4:45 AM) so there was no rush during any part of the morning. As we pulled up to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, Wallace and I were both aghast at what we saw, or actually, what we never saw. This is Florida, this is Xmas, yet we pulled up into a 99% empty parking lot and got a spot next to the entrance. Inside the terminal was like a ghost town. Less than fifty people, all at the distant American Airlines terminal. Where are the tourists?
           Florida-style, there were no distinct building signs so we wound up on the wrong level. This allowed us to see that both departures and arrivals were vacant caverns. We quickly assembled the kennel and filled out the paperwork for Millie-Belle and had plenty of time for a Dunkin Donut stop. An abandoned airport is a truly bad omen for Ft. Lauderdale.
           On the way out of the empty garage, I got stopped and checked for nearly a half-hour. Lots of the usual, “do you know why you are being stopped”, a sucker line I fell for once when I was like sixteen. They look over everything, run your papers, check the glove box and trunk, ask other baiting questions and finally let you go without any explanation. Or apology. Homeland security, but hey guys, I was leaving the airport, not trying to get in. Must be my turban and camel-shaped car. Or the way those clash with my blue eyes.
           I was all day trying to get that same HP printer to network through the new AT&T 2Wire modem. The time does no matter since I am like family over there now. My final conclusion is that there is something built into the modem that prevents the sharing. One strange outcome when you call for support, the AT&T techs insist the printer isn’t “wireless capable”. Yes it is, and it has an 802.11g symbol on the cover. But it is not connected wirelessly, it is connected to the “host” computer, and that computer is the device connected to the wireless modem.
           It seems able to not only block the copy, but to seize up the disk burner and stall the copying software, including Nero, NTI and DVDfab even when those are set to the “dumbest” copy mode. This is the first time all three have failed. Nor can I get around it by converting the files to other media.I failed in my best attempts to copy the now-designated “51 disk”. Even my backup plan, the Dazzle, creates a burn error within a few minutes. My conclusion on that is there has to be some collusion between the media company and the disk burner manufacturers. Even a bit-copy fails so there is some mechanical block, something on the original that “knows” it is being read for a copy. I know the laser operates at different strengths depending on the task; I do believe I’m about to find out more. It will read to 75.53% of the disk and say “read error”. I will do what other experts do at this point. Ask around to see who knows the answer.
           No Karaoke tonight. I got an email from Arnel, who is spending the week in Las Vegas with his gal. There is a storm front from the north coming through with rainy drizzle. Another gal from Carlos’ place came over to borrow a cup of sugar. She is supervisor of a software department that does data entry and she is looking for a room to rent. Ha, good old Carlos. Like myself, he gets the women over to his place, but has to let others support them. But Carlos, I was 20, not 45, when I did that. Then again, he plays A rooms and I do the B circuit. That’s a universe of differences when it comes to women.