Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, February 9, 2009

February 9, 2009


           This is the boat in front of Fred’s yard. I was over there Sunday to pick up the table saw but nobody home. Pete Halford, a guy who worked for the phone company once explained, “A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money.” Hey, for a phone guy, that is deep. Probably funny, too, but sometimes I miss such humor.
           This morning, realizing I had forgotten to turn on the dishwasher, I used a plastic picnic knife. It worked perfectly, even for peeling the spuds. I made breakfast entirely with that utensil, which got me to thinking. All manufacturers claim that plastic can be made stronger than steel. So why don’t they? Why is the plastic part always the first to wear out? See, gotcha. I have my profound moments as well.

           Still no word from Wallace. He should have a new hip by now and ready to hike the Everglades. I’ll wait my turn for news. I told you this place is too large for one person to look after. Even the cat goes looking for him when she gets tired of watching me. He’ll be back soon, he’s been bitten by the Florida bug and will never be able to spend another winter in even the warmest spot in Canada.
           Zero progress on the brake lines, as Angelo is still investigating the technology for splicing instead of replacing. How I would hate to replace parts on an old car, my Cadillac exempted. That’s the car Robyn and I used to, well, you know, drive up to Mulholland. I’m going to talk money for a bit because business has been non-existent. I’ve always broken even but that isn’t really good enough. Unless my associates do the same, let’s just say I’ll never get another shop like this one.

           That’s why the focus is on money for a few paragraphs. It seems the plunge in real estate prices has caused a secondary boom. I say these developers are nuts not to wait things out completely but since nobody can say when that will be, let them take chances. For example, there are new small strip malls going up in lots that have been vacant for decades. Take a drive down Federal and see for yourself. The philosophy would seem if you can get the land for half price, you can rent out the shops for less right across the lane from the competition. Wrong.
           The rents are not less. Instead, they build more crap into the premises, like fountains and stained glass. You get more “non-rent” meaning the landlord’s cousin now sweeps the parking lot twice instead of once a month. These people have not learned their lesson. The party is over, America. It is payback time. Look at Trader John’s, relocating way out near Barry U. When an outfit established for 35 years hauls ass, the yoga parlors and karate clubs will soon hit the trail. Local business already consists of little more than immigrants selling each other $4 cups of coffee. I cannot think of a single reason to go downtown any more.

           The quest for the VGA to coax adaptor is about to end. I cannot find anything of the kind, except $500 converters. This means I must run cables for my live Karaoke show, something I had set out to avoid. I remember kids hooking their game computers to big TVs; the quality was bad but you had a big display. Thus, I supposed I could find the same trinket and was frustrated. Cables it is, and we had a guy in the shop last day who said he got one transmitting over 150 feet, something the textbook says is impossible.
           Trivia. Native American Indians are 96% blood type O. Is that why they could take a big knife and become blood brothers? I could not find data on the other 4%, but universal donors are quite rare in other races. There’s support for your common ancestor theories. Just keep in mind, these aboriginals are not the first inhabitants. The Indians of today wiped out the earlier Clovis culture. Who knows who was before that? Land claims, my eye.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++