Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 19, 2009

March 19, 2009

           Is that a ’67 Mustang? The car I never had. This one is for sale on Federal Hwy up on Taft, and it is in amazing condition. Old cars are a pain if you aren’t a mechanic. I’d still like to have something like this for a toy. This pic is through a fence so I could not get any closer or ask the price. The restoral job looks like factory original, and if I recall, the paint is an original color also. Pearle’s older sister, Phyllis, had a candy yellow model of this car. Pearle was my first. We used to sit in the car, ahem, listening to Neil Diamond tapes.
           It’s been a while since we’ve talked about doggie wigs. I got a call today and there may be some publicity you can view if interested. While nothing ever came of the CBC production, three American outfits have stepped in. There will be documentary styled programs on Animal Planet and Discovery Channel next month (estimated). Also, the great-grand-daddy of magazines has expressed interest in an article. Hello, National Geographic. (I wonder if they could use a few thousand words already written by the only author who totally knows the whole story?)
           My car problem is apparently the radiator hose. I squeezed under there and it is a tortuous contraption that flows around the front axle. Looking at it I see they had little choice once they decided to put the motor in sideways. I’ll have to get the car high enough up off the ground to crawl right in there. Say, doesn’t Carlos have jack stands?
           Next, how would you like a jaunt up to North Carolina and back? A round trip in a rental truck, and either a train or plane return. Teresa is pulling the pin and is moving back to the mountains. She needs a shift driver. Looks like that year I wasted working for Halliburton might pay off. I’d be gone two or three days. Even the cat won’t be a problem. I hate to lose a friend, but Teresa says Florida has not lived up to promises. Projected departure date is the 31st.
           Move that back to the 30th. It’s going to be load up the truck and head right out. It is a twelve hour drive. She has a mobile home in Cape Fear, so depending on finances I may have some time to look around the place. This is the perfect time of year to visit because summer can be an ordeal if you are not used to it. The Carolinas are in the sub-tropics and the coast line was originally settled by people from Barbados. The intention is to get there as quickly as possible in one long trip. Teresa wants to get me a plane ticket to return, but I’m negotiating a train or bus so I can see the countryside.
           I think it odd that at this nothing time of year, the Amtrak is sold out of coach seats right up to the second week of April. They want $178 for the one way, and the train leaves from Raleigh. My decision was no because the train leaves at 10:00 PM meaning I would miss all the scenery until back in Florida where there is nothing new for me to see. The Greyhound leaves at 10:00 AM, and for $132 it raises the possibility of spending a day or two in Savannah, which I would otherwise probably never visit. Website or not, it takes a damn half-hour to get the fare out of Greyhound, like it is some big secret. Both these companies have a convoluted fare structure full of discounts and age groups that probably costs more to administer than it is worth.
           Teresa and I went to Arty’s for a couple hours, kind of her going away party. The bartender says that notwithstanding the far higher sales when music is present, the owner (an 83 year old lady) does not want bands in there. She does not want to change the character of the place. I also discovered most bands that ever played there are also regular customers, which I am not. Too bad, because they are in a good central location on a major highway.