Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, March 8, 2009

March 8, 2009

           Today’s post is censored twice. The headline is again music. Things are going fantastically, and I’m not the sort to inflate my words. At the DBG this afternoon, the roaring crowd would not even let Arnel leave to go put more money in the parking meter. Just so you know, we are offering these places a package deal, with Arnel as the king pin. The size of the crowds tells us, and other clubs, they are being drawn in.
           That makes me extra happy for reasons you may not suspect. First of all, I am only human and I would love to create a situation where clubs that don’t “cooperate” have to settle for the same $100 local people they’ve been playing off against each other for the past twenty years. I tell you right now that as far as I am concerned, it is the local musicians themselves that have let things get so bad nobody will drive even five miles to see their acts anymore. The club owners are no better, but what can you expect when some of the “live” bands pull in fewer people than Karaoke?
           Alas, my show will be the weakest link but make no mistake, this is a coordinated effort. We even use the same PA channels. It is so nice to be dealing exclusively with professionals again. Tell you what, do the math with me. Take ten clubs with a total of 400 chairs, but only 100 regulars. The local musicians will try to play them all in rotation, duh. But common sense says you can only pack a club in this situation by playing fewer clubs, not more. If you follow the logic, congratulations, you are not from around here.
           Big Jim called. If I listed what he said today about why he finally got rid of his guitarist, you’d think I was word-for-word repeating myself over the years. I will tell you once more that south Florida lead guitar players are among the most sordid specimens of egotistical half-educated retards aboard this planet. Try telling one of them his version is not better than the original, or to stop playing riffs overtop of your parts (if he even allows you to have any). Try informing him that he is not the star and you are not his supporting actor. In a way, I’m glad Jim went through that on his own. Now we can get down to business. I am leery of his full-time job.
           Trivia. I play a new chat game on line when it isn’t busy. Called “TriviaChallenge”, they ask a question and give you the answer as a pattern of asterisks. Being the supreme pattern-matcher, I can often get the correct response on topics I know nothing about whatsoever. For readers who’ve ever come against me, I’m that guy who jet-types 260 words per minute (close to 8-1/2 times my sustainable rate). Only those with specific knowledge get past me. Yes, I am the famous “Finkalodeon”.
           Oh yeah, the trivia. Well, the question was, “What gives Wonder Woman her super powers?” The clue was ********. Ooops, I just checked and the PG13 rating of this blog says I cannot tell you what happened next, but most of the players were males. My contribution was “WONDERBRA”. (The real answer was “FEMINIUM”. By the time the clues got to “F*****U*”, one’s imagination takes over.)
           Then there was a gunshot outside. This is a tight neighborhood, so everybody came out to see. It was a painter riding past on his bicycle when he got a blowout. I have never heard a tire crack such a loud sound. It rattled the patio doors. Unbelievable, like a .38 Magnum. I suspect it may have been a miniature sonic boom. I have not had a bike flat since the day I invented the method of double-wrapping the tube. Remind me to look up if it is possible for compressed air to break the sound barrier.
           Here’s something, one of my inspirations, “Cheap Trick” is doing a warm-up for Def Leppard in West Palm this August. Reading the entertainment section, I only recognized 8 of the 30 performers in the entertainment section. Here are the front row prices. Paul Anka $85.00, Heart $68.50, Iron Maiden ??, Chicago $83.50, Fleetwood Mac $73.50, Nickelback $75.00, Tom Jones $75.50 and Def Leppard $125.00. The highest price was $150 for somebody called “The Jersey Boys”. What? Same here, I thought Anka kicked the bucket back in ’85.