Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

April 29, 2009

           The topic for today is economics, jobs, that kind of thing. Even the naysayers know this recession is different, as in past the point of no return. Here is the boarded up club at the corner of Federal and Dania Beach Blvd. Dickenson’s thrift was just up the road. I was past this club many times over the years but admit to never going in. The roof of this hotel over the club was the famous last stand of the giant “Jai Alai” sign, a landmark the city finally killed.
           There have been bad times before without seeing pubs go under. I view them only as potential places to get paid but the reality is these are some of the oldest and most established businesses in the area. This is where you are likely to find locals. Like Club M, this was one of the larger joints. I have no idea if the closing coincided with the end of tourist season this year. I do know the local landlords are using CAM (Common Area Maintenance) scams to get around rental increase limitations in leases.
           We’ve always been told that entertainment remains big during bad times. I was told things like even in the Great Depression, the movie industry grew because people still needed distraction. I view auto dealerships and pubs differently, that they represent the second round of outfits to fold when business stays slow. My reasoning is that these are the places that can sometimes increase profits by lowering prices. But they never do.
           Unlike Hollywood, most small south Florida cities don’t have a real “downtown”, so businesses are strung along the arteries. Causing even worse congestion. You must have a car to get anything done. Or at least a damn good bicycle. There was another festival in Hollywood. I’m very interested in these things because they hurt my income. Billed as an expo, there were a few dozen tent displays crammed with presentationware. A portable stage was set up, which is odd because the city built a permanent arena in the park just 300 feet way. The band was best described as the middle-age married-guy Blues. A trio.
           I gave them a listen and moved on when I could not recognize the difference between songs. I made a quick tour past all the restaurants and clubs on Harrison. Busier than usual. I’ve found Harrison, a block south of Hollywood, to be a better barometer of the neighborhood. I was passed Lola’s to see not one person in the place. It is a food place, something I was not sure of last day.
           That’s it for today. I’m even short any trivia for you. Mind you, I did see a television clip on the “How It’s Made” channel showing the manufacture of aircraft landing gear. I recognize super-complication when I see it. What I was surprised is to learn making one gear requires six months. Maybe I’ll price them out. I worked at an aircraft spare parts place once. They never told us the prices. Why would a show on landing gear get my attention?
           I’ll tell you. By fluke, I was creating a bass line to the song, “Too Old to Cut the Mustard”. The second verse mentions landing gear and did so just as I glanced up to look at the Pudding-Tat. Her favorite toy is a valve cap. You know, that plastic tip you screw onto the air stem on your car tires. She had one cornered in front of the television and there you go.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++