Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

June 23, 2009

           Um, here’s a picture of G’s Place, on Tyler and Dixie. No particular reason, except I was caught there under their awning for nearly an hour, which I’ll explain in a few moments. To follow up y’day, I do not have any facilities for duplicating the CDG disks and there is no practical way to trick my DVD burner into faking a CD. I’ll have to be satisfied with the fact that just figuring it out was quite an accomplishment.
           Karaoke progress report. My music quest is ended for a while anyway. I underestimated the number of subdirectories on the disk, which contains folders like “Greatest” holding countless tunes. I’m only up to the letter “G” in the alphabet and already I’ve got 6,200 pieces of music. That does not count specialty items like Christmas music, sound effects, TV themes, classical, Celtic, and what sounds like the backgrounds of every video game in existence.

           I again mention the effect of home recording technology on music. When recording began, most artists, Elvis aside, made a living off a few hits, usually less than ten. Toward the end of the century, obscure bands are cranking out music by the ton. People I never heard of are now publishing something like 200 songs. This emphasizes the difference between recording artists (them), and performers (me). Since there are only ten spots for the top ten tunes, some mechanism other than musical ability has taken over the charts. There is not physically enough time to merely listen to all the music out there much less to go back and rate them against each other.

           Live performance, at least for now, cannot be mass produced. It is, for me for now, a question of money. After all this time (four years), I still do not have any backup musical equipment. One cable, one component, anything that craters will put me out of business. I do not have a working spare of anything. That explains why my Ernie Ball swell pedal is ( . . . is what? this section seems to have gone missing in the original.)

           Swine flu. Mike’s kid got it, and he got it at home, not at school. They won’t let him in school. Circumstantially, the source points to their housemaid, who is quite healthy and just returned from visiting her family in Mexico. Mike wears a surgical mask, but didn’t we recently debunk that theory?
           Is Kraft Dinner a staple? I think so, although the world demands evidence. I think I can answer that. Whenever I stick any of the sauce in between two sheets of paper, it holds them together. Therefore. Little joke there. But there was a time I thought that's what staple meant. Boy, was I dumb.
           Today was a rainstorm, dawn to dusk. Nothing got done, except for helping Fred solve a few software problems over at the shop. The shoemaker is dependent on walk-ins and the rain can stop that 100%. Theresa checked in from Camp Wilmie and reports 100+ degree weather up in the boonies. The Cape Fear BluesFest is taking place. That would be interesting to see in a college town. I'm gathering she may not like it all that much back at home. I can fully understand that.
           Millie is too shaggy and the clippers are on the spare dining room table. Wallace saw a dog at the park with a mane left, and that seems the best option. Millie the lion. Who will do the deed? I know dogs existed long before humans but they must have had a rough time in this kind of heat. Right Millie? One bark, yes. Two barks, no. Three barks undecided.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++