Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 10, 2009

July 10, 2009

           How’s the German coming along? I’m on lesson 8 (of 10). The lessons are effective and I can already string together sentences about food. The instructor’s choice of vocabulary is an interesting study on the gulf between smart and dumb, in particular on how dumb people regard intelligence as a peculiar eccentricity. You know, they give you the treatment that you’re smart and all, but you are not really smart. You are just faking it but you ain’t foolin’ ‘em.
           If you ever want to meet duh-hunk people, try answering the phone at a shoemaker shop. Some people ask where we buy our supplies, like we’d ever tell them. Others go through routines trying to get a dollar off a five dollar deal. Folks, the cheapest thing we do is put new heels on a pair of ladies spikes, and it costs five bucks because it takes five minutes. Then there are the dorks who expect miracles. There is a saying that crazy people need love too. They also need their shoes fixed.
           Don’t we love the people who think they will get a deal by establishing an “unwelcome codependency”. (There is some evidence that I may have originated that phrase, if so that was in 1986.) Who recalls the classic scene in “Fargo” where the car salesman tries to squirm out of sending a report but the other party can’t be distracted? I’m that other party.
           Distraction doesn't work on me. Unless you happen to look like Miss America, the blond version. Now, what was I saying?

           So that you won’t get so many tough questions that won’t be on the exam anyway, the subject now changes to—gosh, I don’t know. It just changes. I forgot after that great opening line what I was going to say. Blogger's block? Distractions? Golly, now I'm starting to write like Dean Koontz. JZ showed up a day late for the chain saw and we wound up at Jimbos for a quiet Friday night. As in no entertainment, but Eddie was there and we’ve planned a CCR Sunday.
           Eddie wants to do some original material but I’ll have a talk with him about that. There is a time and place for originals, and it is on your own time at your own place. Like the Hippie, he slid one in last week, and figuring it was some tune I’d never heard before, I jammed along to it. I can’t say this any more politely youse guys, but if I can follow what you play, trust me, you are indulging in self-flattery to call it original.

ADDENDUM
           An increasingly popular question is how to appear in this blog and the answer is I do not necessarily know. I’ll describe the process and you take it from there. There is a “short list” of topics on my study wall. It contains 31 to 71 items, depending on how you classify things. If anything occurs that is unusual or “the most”, it gets mentioned. And I’ve learned to keep that list top secret. I’ve also learned to tell where I’ve been instead of where I’m going to be.
           And that is why I’m about to tell you about my trip to the doctor. She was a bit of a babe, and has finally ordered up a bunch of tests to find the root cause of my heart problem. Please remind yourself I do not usually talk about personal medical problems, although I’m fine with doing reviews. Six years ago, I had a type of bad heart attack [which I had formerly] associated with “old people”. She slammed me right back on Plavix. I asked her to look at my ear, the one that has been acting up for a year. Dang, yet another old people condition. Country music is making me deaf, which some may consider a blessing.
           This all goes to show you how things pick up on days when I don’t work. Even Carlos dropped by but missed us. He left a note, then Wallace left him a note, then we showed up and erroneously thought it was for us. So minus Carlos, we all wound up at the bowling alley listening to French versions of Bobby McGee and lamenting the complete lack of attractive single women on Friday nights in Florida. Sigh, good luck in this world if you don’t get a good one before she’s 19 and pray she keeps her figure.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++