Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, July 18, 2009

July 17, 2009

           Another blurry picture of Arnel at the beach, this time at the Walkabout Tiki Bar. it’s across from the Marriott. I went down to stand in for a few tunes, and Big Jim was there. He’s certainly making good progress with his stage experience. We gave the locals a demo of what happens when three people who can read the audience work together, as opposed to one guitar player who only thinks he can. It was an impressive presentation.
           Then we got rained out. But wait, somebody got the luminous idea of playing Jim’s acoustic inside the Tiki bar during the rainstorm. That made room for 17 customers and three musicians who have jammed a lot. It was country music, but what a truly incredible show. Mind you, it demands an amenable bartender who will agree to let somebody swing around a guitar in his work area. Again, another first class presentation, the more because most others would have packed up. It was a downpour, sometimes you think it is raining from the bottom up.
           Back home, I made a huge pot roast and a large batch of mashed potatoes, the kind with horseradish. We had to make something of the day for even the shoemaker reported that this was his first day in twenty some years not even one customer came in. Now we know he has his slow days too.
           Another mystery solved. Why is it so many of my good shirts have a small tear behind the left shoulder? I had earlier attributed this to everything from the washer to snagged branches while bicycling. After tonight’s gig, I went to unsling my bass and sure enough, the strap caught under the seam. It took me two minutes of getting soaked by the rain to unsnag the beast. I level my standard disappointment at the manufacturer for even building an instrument case that could do this just to save a few cents on the clasp.
           Eddie has to work this weekend, or more clearly, has a weekend job offer that he cannot afford to pass up. I jokingly reminded him of the need to keep up the momentum. He’s gotten me to listen to John Prine music, such as “Dear Abby”. I can see why I never got much into single performers before. These soloists don’t have a distinctive sound to my ears. Now I would know the Beatles even if they tried to play country or rap, but when Prine plays Blues or Rock, it could be anybody.

           During a four hour afternoon wait for some lab results, I began the process of repairing my Internet computers. I now have proof that no matter how great your anti-virus, over a period of time the XP system slowly clogs up with junk files and altered settings. Spyware gradually gets better at penetrating into your registry and the overall performance is significantly degraded. It is obvious that reinstalling the entire operating system is more cost effective than trying to repair the damages. Thanks, MicroSoft. True, we could all buy Vista, but it seems we’ve heard that boondoggle from them before.
           These lab tests were just the overall physical I promised but had to wait since February until now. I’m in good general health, except for the old ticker. My arteries need help, a very common circumstance in this country as I suspect the problem begins at age 30 and progresses. (It was years later I discovered it was chemicals in the diet.) I was never a fast food addict or careless about exercise. Wallace knows a lady that was a vegetarian all her life and suddenly got leukemia. What can you do?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++