Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 3, 2009

July 3, 2009

           Another outdated photo for you. Since this is just ripe coconut trees, I could have slipped it past. But this is out on Hollywood Beach three summers ago. I’ve no recent photos of anything new, again an offshoot of working for a living. Be patient, things will pick up after this month.
           Time for yardwork. I rebuilt the old Compaq computer and took it to the shoe shop, that was really the high point of the day. Unless you want to hear about the Sudoku puzzle that stumped me. They grade the puzzles from 1 to 4 in difficulty, and my limit seems to be a 3. There is a point beyond which it is not relaxing.
           It was wise not to play tonight, beyond the fact that it was the first weekend after rent day. The pending holiday tomorrow has dried everything up in town. Keeping out of the sun, I was in the computer store most of the afternoon. You know I was one of the first big users of Craigslist, but I tapered off once it attracted the rank and file. I keep looking for that sectional sofa but you know it won’t happen now that we need one.
           There was time to download some of Eddie Monroe’s music, including the saxophone riff to “Turn The Page”. There’s another dreadful ballad composed by a guitarist, like we can’t tell, but at least it is a little catchy. It is simple, I’ll have to play that sax part on the bass. Carlos, who has been crashing here, knows it on guitar so I’ll see if he can help me translate it.

           Retirement is not something people think [near] enough [about], an error I don’t make. I ran over the books again. Of course, I knew I would never get rich by the time I was 18, when I was panhandling for food money while my older sister was living in a luxury house driving two cars. I confess, I tend to dwell on that type of situation whenever I peer into the future. That is because the effects are still here. My biggest blunder in life was ever believing the promises of my own parents. Boy, was I dumb.
           Yet there are some consolations when I compare what the future holds for others. Not merely the horrors in store for people who fancied their mortgage was shoring up their old-age equity, but for people counting on company pensions that are probably not going to be there, Enron-fashion. I am amused even by the courses being offered in the purported colleges of these days. Is the foundation of America to become selling each other haircuts, catering and discounted insurances?
           July 2009 will be a turning point however it goes. I seem to have found one of the more stable part-time jobs, which is not to say it is a permanent thing. I doubt there is anything certain at this time. That raises a related question to the retirement issues I just mentioned. They say that ever more seniors will be forced to keep working past their normal time. I’ve asked this question before and wonder if it means the marketplace is due to be flooded with old people who, but for office and management skills, are all but useless. I say yes because the factory jobs are gone.
           Then again, it may be just the wakeup call these idiots need after a lifetime of pretending they were tolerant by allowing uncontrolled immigration. It would be sweet justice for these middle-class bozos to try to re-enter a job market that is flooded with non-English-speaking people who work for less than minimum wage. That bullsh logic about immigrants taking jobs that Americans won’t touch is about to be severely tested, if you ask me. Besides, blueberries and strawberries are now $4.00 a pound anyway, which blows another theory out the window.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++