Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, August 3, 2009

August 3, 2009

           Recording. The ultimate musical gamble, other than flying around in small charter aircraft. If there was ever a wrong motive to play music, this seems to be it. I certainly recognize that top musicians should be rewarded; I don’t necessarily believe a recording contract is the right idea. It reminds me of the apple pie industry, with somebody always claiming they can make it better in a factory. Here is a low end 32-channel mixer. It stands to reason anybody who buys a $45,000 recording machine is going to have to pump out music by the boatload. Ask Green Day.
           My records clearly show that I purchased my Alesis drum box before mid-2006. I lost the receipt. Where did I buy it? The bad news is that there is nothing better out there than the incredibly unfriendly Alesis SR-16. So unfriendly it is that the internal CMOS battery is soldered in and cannot be replaced. What? Okay, it stands for complimentary metal oxide semi-conductor. How much comfort do you want?
           You can read my thoughts on the Alesis matter by Googling “veryatlantic”. It is a disgusting portrayal of collusion (are you listening Roland, Akai, Boss and Korg) that there is not a single decent drum stage box on the market after thirty years.

           I took a very close look at the area Wallace drove through to International Falls. I’ve flown over it. My atlas is too large scale to plan, but I see there are plenty of campgrounds. They have to be no more than 20 miles apart for me to bike it. I confuse the two points at the tips of Sault St. Marie and Thunderbay. It looks like there are roads completely around the shores of Lake Michigan except for some stretches of private property. This was a great exercise in planning ahead for something I cannot possibly afford at this time.
           Such plans remind me of the German Army during the Second. No, not the Nazi army. Although they knew after Stalingrad they were losing the supply battle (and thus the war), they still made plans to conquer the world. They were to link up with Rommel coming up from Egypt and the Japanese in China, even though they didn’t have the gasoline to drive there. In another similarity, a tiny change in my fortunes will make it all realistic. I never get stuck for lack of a plan. Idleness is something that must be forced upon me.

           Back to the drum box, it appears I did not purchase it at Guitar Center, although they really went out of their way to locate that receipt. I note that Mars Music went bankrupt around the same time. I was over to Guitar Center for an hour talking to Lori (Google “alienun”). She plays country music, but not covers. Those who play originals are normally caught up with the production studio crowd, chasing that rainbow. The type who tape their own jams. I note that the 5-string bass [guitars] which are now all over the place weigh twice what they should, but they are finally the correct size. Heft contributes nothing to a good bass sound.
           Congress (a term I use to describe the Fed collectively) has passed a law limiting what can be done with bailout money. This is after several big investment firms used the cash to pay out bonuses to the thousands of brokers who had schmucked things up in the first place. As usual, it is a nothing law that does not define what it prohibits, a factor that leads directly to police and political corruption. For instance, it bans use of the free money for any venture that “damages” the economy. You could be arrested if you invest instead of spend. And don’t think it can’t happen, such laws are also used for selective punishment and to wipe out competition.
           Also keep an eye on food production. It has to make the news again shortly if only because it has become a lost art. Not enough people know how to do it anymore. We probably could not feed the country without mega-corporate farms. Those outfits act as if the depression isn’t happening. In fact, watch for any big business who have not tightened their belts (like the hospital industry). When it hits them, it will be hard. The telltale signs are already on the supermarket shelves. The $4 loaf of bread and the $2 cob of corn. At some point, people will substitute, it is a basic economic fact, and down comes the house of cards. Except this time, there aren’t enough small farms left and prices will soar.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++