Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 6, 2009

September 7, 2009

           Ah, a quiet day at home. Playing “Pink” music and doing some deep planning. I have to consider the option that Eddie is taking too long, raising the specter of missing another tourist season. For that reason I ran an ad for a vocalist to test what’s out there. Two potential applicants emerged, with youTube videos (links posted at end of blog) and in the correct age demographic. Both play excellent guitar, which makes me leery of why they are not soloists. I’ve made it very clear to them that I won’t tolerate multi-banders. We shall see.
           Here’s a clever set of guitar picks. Four of them on a credit-card sized punch out, advertising for the Hard Rock. These have not stood the test of time as I hate to destroy the matching set. Still, what a clever idea. This was given to me by one of my students who works at a radio station (93.1 FM).

           I had to smile at my bicycle situation, as it parallels the experiences of anyone who requires a car to make a living. You know how a minor repair can put you out of business for the duration. The bicycle is my primary mode of transportation and darned if I’m not caught in the same situation. My regular parts supplier, WalMart, is out of bicycle tubes and the other locations are either beyond walking distance or closed for the long weekend. My flat tire stranded me just like the old days when I used a car. Ha!
           Then again, spending an uninterrupted 48 hours at home, probably a record for me, means I’ve got gas money to use the car to get the bike back on the road. What a strange commonality of factors, I would normally have thought it would be the bicycle used to get car parts. It brings back memories of having to hire taxis and tow trucks when my car broke down in the past. Possibly I should be glad it worked out this way.
           It’s fun to complain about food prices, here’s something that looks past the obvious. Around a year ago, I switched to high fiber bread, which is now climbing to $4 a loaf. A few years of inflation will soon make this sound dumb, but here’s my point: what does the mechanical food chain look like? I mean the fossil fuel in a loaf. Add at least the farm tractor, harvester, grain truck, elevator, train, bakery, delivery, air conditioning and since most people food shop with their car so it costs all the way home, too. Anyway, it got me curious. Food around here starting to cost gourmet.

           Still no sign of Eric, the neighbor. I wonder who’s feeding his cat. The neighbors to the east, the one’s who walk their dog 15-20 times per day, are probably on top of that. The days are still sweltering here and the tree branches again cover the patio with shade. In some cases, the branches are more than four feet longer than when Wallace left. I cannot keep up with that kind of work in the summer time. This, incidentally, is my tenth summer here.
           Now you know what happens on a slow blog day. There’s more. I found a sure sign of aging, a skin tag. Right on my neck where I wear my Bingo tie. Coincidence? Does that make it an occupational hazard? There are many ways to get rid of them without a doctor but I hesitate. What? You want to know? Okay, you can cover them with duct tape. The chemical in the glue kills them. Or you can put Vitamin E on a bandaid. You can choke them with a layer of fingernail polish. Some say you can even make a little noose of dental floss or fish line and pinch off the blood supply. But, I’m sticking with the oldest remedy I know. Mix castor oil with baking soda and apply twice a day. If you go to a doc, all they do is cut it off at the roots with sterilized scissors and who remembers my $425 wart? What could I do, it [the wart] would not go away and it was under my eye. Not like on my toe or something. And right before Xmas. Can a blog get any more exciting than that?
           I am compelled to mention that which tops my criteria list. It was mapped out years ago and is the major reasoning for a lot of topics found here. And remember, Floridians don’t like reasoning because that always means listening to what somebody else has to say. Here's the youTube links:
           Vocals A This link is gone. That's why I dislike links.
           Vocals B

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++