Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 29, 2009

November 29, 2009

           If it had been up to me, I’d have stayed in all day. After you hit maybe 24, there is nothing to do in this area except make faces and waste time. Now do not get me wrong, I do fine because I am an entertainer, but I’m saying there is still nothing to do. Wallace talked me into going over to the bowling alley (Holiday Lanes), where an old acquaintance of mine was playing. He’s the Rod Stewart impersonator.
           He is English with the accent, so he can get away with observations I could only dare think on stage. Anyone here on vacation? (What a loser, going to a bowling alley on vacation.) Anyone wearing shorts? (Are you stomping grapes? There are no women getting out of a shower hoping to meet a guy wearing shorts.) There was one good-looking gal, but as Wally now knows, I can spot a groupie miles away. The one tonight could not even dance.
           But the show is European-flavored and centuries ahead of the locals. It was a novel act, may I point out such things as it was bass & vocals with backing tracks and as people kept walking in, the band did not take a break for over two hours. There must be some universal motives at work here, since I have no idea what music is doing over in the old world. Their act was independently so much like mine I had to deny to Wallace that I had worked with this group.
           The atmosphere at the Holiday seems incapable of change. The crowd is jaded, the drinks are a dollar more than anywhere else and the staff is too evidently only interested in tips, often begging for them. I got there late hoping the party would pick up. I should have stayed in and wrote more letters. To Colorado and N. Carolina, if you must know.
           Most of you will never receive a personal letter from me. Those who do will note that today I developed a new style that enhances my “blast from the past” format. It incorporates printing relevant or thought-provoking pictures covering the otherwise blank backs of the letter pages. This made sense after my recent studies of the placement mat flyers. Denny’s mat has both sides plastered with pictures of their overpriced Slams. My pictures are personalized, in some cases photos from so long ago it will shock the recipients. Didn’t think I kept things all this time, I’ll wager.
           Since Pudding-Tat’s birthday is unknown, I’m searching the archives for earliest mention of her name. And she’s been mentioned 228 times. I researched the most recent stats for the equivalent ages of cats, and they do not always agree. I remember the cat it seems forever, but the first mention of her is “Fraidy-cat” on April 4, 2007. That makes her just over two and a half years old. Or around 20 people years. That doesn’t make sense to me, how she could take over this place in such a short time. As [Wendy Christensen] said, “In ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped. They have not forgotten this.”
           And here’s some news for those of you with nothing to hide. In the 2010 census, if you do not complete the mail-in form, you can expect a GPS-equipped census official to arrive at your door. The first question is, as always, “How many people live in your house?” Canadians are more familiar with being compelled to answer census questions, but in their case, the first question is far more sinister, “How many people over the age of 18 live in your house who are not registered to vote?”
           I’ve been looking out for more trivia in case Theresa responds to the long letter and sample flyers I sent. If there is to be trivia, I want it to be as far removed from the frivolous brand, I want it to be informative trivia, high class stuff. For example, did you know that all phonetic alphabets, no matter what language is being written, average 27 letters. Now that is interesting trivia. Or how about, did you know that 38% of cats are left-pawed? (The ratio for human lefties is just under 10%.)