Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, November 7, 2009

November 7, 2009

           I was all over town this morning getting ready for the show of the year. That is no metaphor, today was the day of probably the most unusual show in this part of the world. And it was all good news. My guitar glass graduated and we put on a show. Told ya it would happen. This is a still from the video, the band now called “The 505” (say “Five-Oh-Five).
           Dress rehearsal was at the classroom at 2:00 PM. The usual instances of stage fright crept in but that is the advantage of a group—there is safety in numbers. While not in costume, everybody was dressed for the role and we headed over to Jimbos as a caravan. It was touch and go to the last moment even in the parking lot. We all got inside to find a small group of friends and family in addition to the afternoon pub regulars.
           One student’s father had Facebooked the event and much of the show was photographed and recorded. There it was, five guitarists and a bass, first of a kind (although I’m informed there is a band somewhere with five guitars, I’d never heard of them and they don’t perform around here). Things went so well, the owner sprung for the drinks and we are invited back any time. And of course, the fact that there were seven new and vivacious ladies in our group did not go unnoticed by the regulars. (One gal wore a bright red tank top and I just know I’ll not soon hear the end of that.)

           The show was an instant success. Out came the stories of long ago lessons and the attendant failures and how that made a performance like today so astounding, particularly to family members in the audience. Instruments other than guitar that never made it are being dusted off, such as a saxophone, a ukulele and some kind of flute I’ll have to see for myself.
           Yes, there was cash in the tip jar. Everybody in class got enough for a fancy coffee and the best set of guitar picks in the store. They played both “solo” and along with my backing tracks. Most shocking to them was the effect of the show, with the entire audience singing along. This can be a real eye-opener for many beginners, for I know exactly how to break down that old barrier about having to be “good” to entertain.
           Mistakes were made, like myself playing in the wrong key, yet it was a great demonstration of the flexibility built into my guitar classes. Using totally the principles learned (as opposed to musical lessons), we were able to field around five audience requests which, in many cases, the class had never heard before. (listen to “Cotton-Eyed Joe”). Not a missed note or pause in the show. Now that is real music.

           What a day of contrasts. When I say things are slow, I [actually] mean they lack novelty, not that the pace of life is tapering off. It took twelve hours to get to over to see Wanda with the Karaoke. Then she sticks me with something I discarded years ago: Mony Mony. Remember Mony Mony? Christ, you're getting old.
           When I reel it all in, it was an incredible day. Foremost was getting my car out of the towing compound. I’ve always said that towing companies should not used to enforce motor vehicle laws any more than the police should be running a towing business. The temptation for corruption is too great. I got stung for $96 extra fees because the towing company seized my property for an unpaid $58 sales tax from back in 2004.
           Law is supposed to be neutral. I’m not saying that just because I got towed. I once worked in Canada and Americans should be very afraid of that system ever happening here. The Canadian government uses one department to blackmail citizens through another department. In such regimes, it costs a lot of money just to stay free. The government becomes “an unwelcome participant” in every activity. Today’s incident is an example. A private, for-profit towing company can get ahold of your sales tax information. Unless your name is St. Peter or you like to pretend you’re perfect, be very afraid.
           Show me a person who has never done anything wrong and I’ll show you a person who has never done anything period. Except talk. (Come to thing of it, I do know a few of those.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++