Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, January 22, 2010

January 22, 2010

           I’ll mention the weather more than once, because it is really that perfect this week. Here’s our pet geico in the yard. Yes, I said geico. It hasn’t offered me any insurance discounts but it sure keeps the yard free of insects. This is a high-quality shot taken on Theresa’s fancy camera. Look at that clarity and color.
           I did not make it to the Shakespeare performance. It is now so easy to spend a day at home now that everything is here. Okay, I admit to being the last to see most television shows. Today I watched scrubs. It is a comedy which I can follow because there are no allusions to politics and sports (which bore me past distraction). Mind you, they could knock it off with the constant innuendoes about black people and sex.

           This morning found me over at Best Buy, the Geek Squad people. RAM is still frightfully expensive but it remains the single most important upgrade possible for computers now in the three to five year old range. Two gigabytes is the most popular size, meaning we are seeing a lot of used 512 MBs on the market. The weather is perfect, I went for a two-mile walk, invigorating, but also a reminder that walking is a medium impact activity that my pumper does not like.
           Myself and a small crowd of like-minded individuals have now formalized and coordinated our efforts to hack the cable Internet system, our purpose being solely to understand how it works the way it does. There was even a suggestion if we fail that I should apply there for a job and find out first-hand. My task is to find out if the Internet signal emanates from the cable main office, or from various local terminals (like the phone company with its central offices every 5,500 yards).

           My secondary is to find out how to spoof DSL MAC addresses. It seems to me if you pay for DSL service, you should be able to work it from any location with a telephone jack. Or in the alternative, the phone company should explain why not before they take your money. I’ve been tentatively voted the most popular tech in town, may I add. Several of my clients who know each other have decided I am the only technician or worker they know that they look forward to seeing. Ah, that’s nice. And a most singular compliment. I’m not taking on any new customers since the income has become too random to make a decent living. Callouts have soared this month.
           Who recalls the word puzzle I invented? I may have found a patent attorney who will take the matter pro bono. I have yet to uncover what I’m patenting, the matter just gets curiouser and curiouser. Keep visiting here and maybe I’ll have some facts for you shortly. I predict I’ll make $150 per week at that little adventure.

           Lately I’ve been talking about house auctions in the foreclosure market. I think some people from up north who buy places sight (site?) unseen are in for a nasty surprise. Florida is very third world, where desirable property can be a block from the slums. Anyway, the fact on-line bidding is so new means it will be another year before the general public even figure out how to use the system, so I am joining up. You can find the site at www.mypalmbeachclerk.com and good luck.
           Ever since some New York investor picked up a decent property for $10,000 I am truly serious about looking at this on-line bidding. Mark my words if you did not mark them seven years ago when I predicted I’ll get a three bedroom two bath house in Ft. Lauderdale for $5,000. If my generous offer on this place is not accepted, I’ll be prepared. For example, the roof is leaking and there is no hot water in the dishwasher for nearly two years. Right there tells you I’m not to blame, if it was up to me things would be fixed by noon tomorrow.

           The neglect represents irreparable damage to the property and a potential health threat. (Dishwashers need an initial cycle of 140 degree water spray to be sanitary.) I have repeatedly offered to fix the roof for free and install a water heater, also for free.