Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 4, 2010

January 4, 2010

           This jpeg is blurry because it is taken out the window of a car. South Florida is a terrorists dream, as some of the first airports in the USA were built here. Back then, they were miles from anything, today the freeway is constantly buzzed by these commercial liners. Note the heavy bush on the ground, affording plenty of hiding spots. The conclusion around here is that the reason security, not in the airport, but surrounding the airport, is so lax is that too many immigrants from terrorist countries live near airports.
           Allow me my moments. The neighbors across the street are freezing and can’t afford a motel. I told Wallace I sympathize, but people must not be prevented from learning by their own mistakes. It gets cold here this time every year and those who refuse to drill that fact into their brains should shiver until they do. It isn’t my fault they have no heat. You know I feel about helping people who don’t think or act the way I do. If they are so right and so many, why are they asking if they can warm up in our living room? Don’t answer that.
           We don’t have such problems because I plan ahead and Wallace now knows that. He’s swayed because one of the neighbors is older than Methuselah, but to me that just means they’ve been dumb longer and had more time to learn. I have a fee schedule for planning ahead for others, you know. It isn’t free.
           My policy is straightforward. Help out those with predictable needs, then send them the bill. Cold winter weather is neither a surprise nor emergency. As far as age goes, a person who is even a split second older than I am is infinitely more responsible for their own state of affairs than I will ever be. I do not owe a person older than me a damn thing in this world, but so you know I am fair, nor do I expect anyone younger has any duty to help me. They can if they want, though.
           My system is still infected with that woruuud.exe virus, which seems to defeat the best efforts of Symantec. It can spread via any type of memory, including flash drives and SanDisks. All it does is make your computer think the memory is always active so you don’t know when it is safe to remove the device. At any rate, I notice that it keeps reinfecting my memory no matter how many times it is anti-virused.
           So, all you geniuses out there, why doesn’t one of you get rich by inventing an application that just doesn’t cure or prevent a known virus, but keeps it from spreading? I notice some applications go a certain distance with this, the new Adaware and Trend Microsoft come to mind. But they only stop an infection. I want something that blocks the spread of the virus once the infection has happened. I mean, if it is a known virus, how difficult can that be? A small point, true, but if I knew how, I’d at least try.
           As far as virus technology goes, one thing to never forgive Microsoft for is hidden files. It takes too much skill to tweak MicroSoft products to show all files rather than just the ones they want you to see. I mean, even if it was necessary to have hidden files, why can’t the bastards at least put them all in one place. God knows they’ve had the time and the money.