Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 26, 2010

February 26, 2010

           Here is my latest improvement to my sun-following Arduino project. The gnomon is replaced by tubes using old Pringle’s cans, the only time I ever buy that product (a tradition). The light-sensors, labeled LED for short, react to differences in light falling down the tubes. It would be sturdier, I think, and it would be easy to use four cans to follow any changes in latitude.
           That’s where I got to pondering that, as you see in Ex. B, only three tubes would suffice. What do you mean everybody doesn’t spend part of each day thinking about such things? If this configuration brings up fond memories of your college days studying Euclid, good, then come over here and remind me how to program the equations because I can’t recall a thing on that topic.
           I’ve got a book by a James Patterson, a new author to me. The paperback “Cross Country” is very well written. The copyright says 2008 but Patterson mercifully avoids dwelling over the Internet and such. However, he is not above anachronisms like the CIA contact in every country, the spy headquarters in every US Embassy and the dead ex-wife he can’t replace. He even slides in around chapter 75 that the hero is African American after carefully building up an image of otherwise; possibly he feels that is cute or clever. Patterson is talented but I’ve often wondered why writers with boring names don’t get a pseudonym.
           The plot is a string of brutal murders by African gangs of pre-teen boys. In Patterson’s USA, a six-foot-six Nigerian disembarking with fifteen to twenty orphans in tow is nothing unusual in the Atlantic northeast. The booklet is a clear portrayal of the situation in middle Africa, where torture, rape and corruption are somewhat of a career choice. The hero is remarkably good at finding strangers who get killed for helping him. Still, I recommend the read, it is on the New York Times bestseller list, if that still means anything in this world of lists.