Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 23, 2010

           Okay, what is this gizmo? It is PopSci’s project of the month, a pen holder made out of recycled 3.5” floppies. Only, I turned mine inside out to make it more interesting. PopSci actually went through the trouble of publishing an on-line video on how to build this thing, giving you some idea of how desperate they are. In a blatant rip-off of Makezine called "5-Minute Project", they also have a team of preppy-looking Reggie Roughshaves and a token ditzy blonde (Megan) doing slo-mo karate forms.
           It didn’t take long to complete my research on just4writers.net. They are an elusive outfit with an uninformative home page. Also, they are being flagged all over Craigslist, although it is unknown if this is for over-posting. The culminating incident for me was their unwillingness to send or let me view a sample of what they wanted. Remember, you are giving personal information to strangers on the Internet, and caution is advised. The sole plus is that just4writers.net does not use PayPal, but charges up your cash card.
           The process led me to other places, the two that stand out are Suite101.com and FireHow.com. These both use PayPal, who I dislike due to their finicky fee structures that eventually eat up a dormant account. I also dislike the idea of having to give out your name and bank account number on-line just to get paid your own money. (PayPal demands far too much information to be just a conveyor, so watch out.)
           FireHow wins out for giving samples and being straightforward about payment. They make a deposit to your PayPal account in each month your earnings top $10, otherwise they roll it over. FireHow gets flak for being new, but one is quick to notice the publications are poorly written by the unschooled. Fresh territory. My articles are all geared to create ever more clicks on my other articles.
           For example, I’ll tell you how to burn a CD with Nero, but the first instruction says if you do not have Nero installed, you have to link to another of my articles, all of which increase traffic. By examining FireHow, I suspect I could dominate a few areas. Their top posts right now number a few hundred hits, mostly on topics for nerd loosers like “How to Impress Her On A First Date”. Duh, if you have not already impressed her, what are you doing on a date? Trying to change her mind?
           [Author’s note: “looser” is not a misspell. I am the guy responsible for once making that word popular on Craigslist.]
           Now, some knowledge. I was over to see Racehorse Jack, and we got him an external DVD player, a Pioneer. Careful, these units require two direct (non-hubbed) USB ports to draw their power. The problem was, Jack has one of those MyGait Go computers for seniors. The Go browser opens on boot-up so you cannot see, or install, other programs. Or can you? Maybe, with my help.
           The OS is good old Windows XP Home Edition. The problem is, you can’t easily get at it. Here are the instructions. First, at the Go splash screen, press ctrl-esc. Note that the Go keyboard calls esc “ES”. This opens the task bar along the bottom of the screen. There are two choices only, Network Places and Printers and Faxes. Open Printers and Faxes. Look down the navigation panel, the list along the left side of the box. One of them says “Other Places”, open it if it is not already open. There you’ll find what you need, if not, that ain’t my fault. Eighty dollars, please.
Jack has never watched a DVD movie. He still has a VHS tape deck, missing the patch cables. He also has two excellent brand digital cameras but has not the habit of using them. I am the proponent of at least carrying a cheap camera with you at most times. So you can take instant pictures of your pen holder.
           Still weakened from last week, I grabbed a C++ book, the reason being the Arduino programming language is similar. The book was published in 1990 but so what, it is still code. It was a mistake. Titled “Teach Yourself… C++”, it is one of the worst written pieces of crap I’ve ever seen. It is so bad, it reads like a MicroSoft user manual, replete with undefined terms, “you're-supposed-to-knows” and “one-more-things”. Al Stevens, I want my money back. Actually, somebody gave me the book for free, and I still want my money back. And theirs, too. We can’t figure out who you are trying to impress.
           In other news, Wallace has left.