Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April 21, 2010

           While toying around to find the least number of LEDs (in a grid) needed to display a reasonable set of characters, I came up with today’s jpeg. I learned that only four letters (M, N, Q, and W) cannot be faked on a 3x5 grid. That readout is hard on the eyes, that’s why I said “faked”. It is probably nothing, however I noticed it is possible to display all the hexadecimal digits with 15 segments. I didn’t want you thinking I’d overlooked that. Again, it’s probably nothing.
           My task is to learn to display one character at a time, then scroll if from four basic directions. In practice, you would need a 4x5 to allow for a space between the letters. See my article “There Are 27 Letters In The Alphabet”. As I said in 1996, if you don’t believe me, type a page of blank spaces and see how much memory it requires.
           Once more for the record, my goal is not to build a robot, rather to gain a proper understanding of the process before I croak. That gives me at least 30 years. Personally, I don’t care for the direction robots builders are taking, constantly striving for human-like performance and appearance. It seems to me if the focus was (where it should be) on getting the task done efficiently, very few robots would be humanoid. That’s not to say the corollary is true.
           No return word from the Jewish author, but I see he is still running an ad. It took over an hour and a half to redo the two pages he sent. The material is great, I understand the exact historic period; the fact is that I had to re-write every sentence. What is the name of that tense where the person is describing the past, but uses the present? Example: “It is 1492. I am in a small room with round windows.”
           What else is new? Fred is on his second day of learning to be Florida’s most perfect guitarist. Nobody said the best musician. And with Fred, it has to be all presentation. In equally important news, I’ve discovered the only way I can get my vegetable RDA is by drinking juice, and it turns out the expensive juice is actually cheaper than the same quantity of vegetables. There is nothing quite as thrilling as a fact-filled blog, agreed?
           I’m reading “Bait and Switch”, by Barbara Ehrenreich. I think journalism school basically teaches people how to spot things ten years after they first appear in this blog. Check it out. She and I are quite different people who drew a similar conclusion, the emphasis being on “different”, not “conclusion”. Don’t go stupid on me. She took her $5,000 and went out to find a replacement job where I took my $5,000 and retrained for a career. Can’t get much different than that. Then she wrote a book for money, where I wrote a blog for information. Mind you, I wouldn’t turn down some cash at the moment.
           Our perspectives are distinct. When she was still (2005) writing about Human Resources making decisions based 90% on emotion, I had already noted 19 years earlier that the very concept of Human Resources was originally intended to prevent that kind of hiring. Patience, I’m only part way done the book, so there’s still a chance she can catch up. Just not at the rate she’s going.
           I don’t think, as she does, that white-collar workers recently became disposable. I think they always were surplus and they ignored my warnings that they were going to get caught at it within their own lifetimes. The only thing dumber than office workers and school board employees making $70,000 a year is the fact that they actually think they are worth it; that they are “working hard”. Of course and certainly, getting canned hurts such people worse than others. They consider themselves victims.
           But you watch. Every one of those types who winds up on unemployment is going to fantasize about writing a book. Let me say this about that. They are not fired, they are “right-sized”. They are not hitting the bricks, they are “repositioning”. And when they realize nobody cares what they have to say, they are not azzholes, they have “writer’s block”.
           Last for now, that grid or matrix circuitry is exceedingly difficult. Try it. Unless some way is found to selectively operate LEDs in a pattern, the physical wiring becomes too large to individually connect the bulbs. Still, this is new knowledge to me and is therefore a brand of progress.