Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April 7, 2010

           This is a Reinhardt pipe. Hand made in America. This morning I hauled out my spare speakers, only to find one 12” woofer was not working. The goal was to see if I could use something cheaper to call bingo than my $819 PA system (over $1,000 if you add the accessories). It would be a major task to move it for a single nighter somewhere. I talked to Cowboy Mike, who has a ten-year old set of Peavy speakers. I don’t have the $200 right now.
           Perceptions and realities are confusing to non-Internet people, and Cowboy Mike is no exception. When you put something on eBay, it is not likely to be found by a Google search. eBay is a site, and that is what Google looks for, not products on the site. I haven’t a clue how Google would handle a site like eBay. If you want brand recognition, it is going to cost big bucks. Let me mention Cowboy Mike’s data here, and see if it comes up on search next day:
           Reinhardt’s Pipes. Reinhardt’s Pipes. Reinhardt’s Pipes. If you got here, then go look at the pipes on eBay under “collectibles”. $79 wholesale, $129 retail. What a bargoon. If you smoke a pipe, get one of Cowboy Mike’s. Boost the economy.
           The tall actress was in most of the afternoon. She has become a regular customer, and even Mr. Muscles walked in today. He is in school in Texas, or at least that is the rumor. Anyway, I should give the actress a moniker, I’ll dub her Vita, because she sure must have taken her vitamins. My guess is she stands at least six-two. Nice gal, but not my type. She likes to tell me if I would only pretend I had money like all the other guys, I would get all the girls I want. I like to tell her that has never been my style, and that is why I always got the girl. Until I was 35, when the supply dried up.
           Looking closely at FireHow again, it is evident there is really not much money to be made there for the effort involved. I’ve written articles over the spectrum of what I know, and the money trickles in a few pennies a day. I’m not surrendering, rather pointing out that this is no trade for people with bills to pay. As it stands, after 20 hours of writing, I’m earning less than $5 per month. Bear in mind, this is very worth it in the long run. Meanwhile, you starve. It is not a game for the impatient.
           Already, I am going to alter my strategy. I’ve seen if you write well, regardless of the topic, there is a spur of activity across the board. That is easiest explained by people who want entertainment, not knowledge. A hint of trivia is now standard in my exclusive category “Other Information”. Soon, I will begin to experiment with active links to my other articles. I find that sad, because I view all web ratings based on links as the result of the boys downtown toking too much of the skunky blend. Without using a Reinhardt pipe.
           I’m just finishing the book, “Margaritaville”, by Jimmy Buffet. Published 1989. It is a feel-good book, as long as you can identify with people who get $15,000 checks from recording companies. Yet the style, something of a cross between Dave Barry and Lewis Grizzard, still seems a little too polished to not wonder about. It is also a little curious how these musicians all know each other and keep winding up meeting on the road. I could not name you another bass player in the entire United States of America.
           The warm weather is arriving; summer will be a swelter this year. Stay out of town. I biked home dreaming of a banana coffee smoothie, and I know all the shady routes in the county. The comfort zone, the stretch between chilly and boiling, has been lasting only a few weeks each year, instead of the usual three months each around each equinox.
           Last, I mentioned Vita above. She reminds of Antonia, the artist lady that used to hang around Churchill’s ten years ago. Vita is a model and actress although I don’t know where or for what. I do believe the first time she ever heard Kipling was when I quoted a little this afternoon. This gal is a little on the intense side, but the fact is, we are warming to each other. It would not be the first time I dated a woman over six foot tall, although height has nothing to do with it. I like ‘em around five-six.
           The tallest (woman in my life) springs to mind. Her name was Colleen Meade, a 19-year old natural blonde temp at the phone place. I was 31. She walked into the office, ducking under the doorway, glanced around at all the gawking guys, and walked immediately over to me and said we were dating for that summer. We did. Her father was a millionaire part owner of Laidlaw, a huge garbage trucking firm. She was as tall sitting down as I was standing up, and she hated macho men of any ilk.
           And there were always a clutch of them thinking they could peel her away from me. It never happened. We spent a lot of time together, though she was not a music person. Our most memorable date was a free dinner I won on a radio contest. We went to the Japanese Suhiro Steak house, causing a minor sensation amongst the staff. After she returned to med school, we drifted apart. Shortly afterward, I met Robynette, and nothing has been the same since.
           veryatlantic veryatlantic this is a test of the google search mechanism